- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios has been charged with assaulting his former girlfriend Chiara Passari in Canberra late last year, and has been summoned to appear in court.
The Australian Capital Territory Police confirmed to the Canberra Times that Kyrgios had been charged and would appear in court early next month.
"ACT Policing can confirm a 27-year-old Watson man is scheduled to face the ACT Magistrates Court on the 2nd of August in relation to one charge of common assault following an incident in December 2021," police said on Tuesday.
The Canberra Times reported that the charge "relates to an allegation Kyrgios grabbed former partner Chiara Passari." If convicted, he could face up to two years in prison.
Kyrgios' lawyer, Jason Moffett, said that his client is aware of the charge.
"It's in the context of a domestic relationship," Mr Moffett told The Canberra Times.
Kyrgios, known for his wild and often volatile behavior on the tennis court, is currently preparing to play Cristian Garin in the Wimbledon 2022 quarterfinals, which is just the third Grand Slam quarterfinal of his nine-year pro career. He last made a Grand Slam quarterfinal at the Australian Open in 2015, and made the Wimbledon quarterfinals in 2014.