Police name teenager stabbed in Croydon as Zaian Aimable-Lina

·2 min read
<span>Photograph: Metropolitan Police/PA</span>
Photograph: Metropolitan Police/PA

A 15-year-old boy stabbed to death in Croydon, south London, on Thursday has been identified as Zaian Aimable-Lina, the Metropolitan police said.

Police have said Zaian was from the local area.

A 15-year-old boy who was arrested on suspicion of murder has been released on bail to a date in late January.

Zaian’s death marked the 29th teenage homicide in London in 2021, surpassing the 27 seen in 2017, which had been the highest in recent years.

The previous peak was 29 teenage homicides in the capital in 2008.

However, within minutes of Zaian’s death a 16-year-old boy died after being stabbed to death at Philpots Farm Open Space in Yiewsley, Hillingdon, west London, making him the 30th teenage homicide in the capital in 2021.

Met Police Commander Alex Murray said: “I am deeply saddened by every single homicide this year, and greatly concerned by those that have been teenage killings. Each one is a tragedy leaving behind heartbroken families and distressed communities.

“My thoughts are with the victims and all those impacted. They are not statistics, not just numbers, they all have families, and they all should have had their lives ahead of them.

“They and their families have been robbed of something precious and we should all be doing everything we can to stop this,” he said.

He added that the police were devoting “huge resources” to preventing homicides and said the Met was not “complacent” about knife crime.

Chief Inspector Richard Leonard said: “My thoughts continue to be with Zaian’s family and friends as they cope with this tragic loss. My team are continuing to work around the clock so that we can give Zaian’s family the answers they deserve.

“Zaian’s death has sent shockwaves through the local community and London as a whole. He was just 15 years old and had his whole life ahead of him, and we need the community to work with us to bring those responsible to justice.”

In a Twitter thread, the mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said he was “devastated” by the deaths of the two boys and he was in close contact with the Met “who are doing everything possible to bring those responsible to justice”.

He said the safety of Londoners “will always be my number one priority” and he was “investing record amounts in policing to put more officers on the streets and creating positive opportunities for almost 100,000 young Londoners, helping to divert them away from violence”.

He added: “I refuse to accept that the loss of young lives is inevitable, and will continue to be relentless in taking the bold action needed to put an end to violence in our city.”

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting