New details emerge about Derrius Guice's domestic violence arrest

Chris Cwik
·3 min read

New details have emerged regarding Derrius Guice’s arrest. The running back was arrested Friday and received three charges of assault and battery, one count of destruction of property and one felony count of strangulation. The Washington Football Team released Guice shortly after news of the arrest went public.

The new details were released in charging documents obtained by the Washington Post.

Content warning: There are graphic depictions of domestic violence below.

Guice, 23, allegedly strangled his girlfriend until she was unconscious. When she woke up, Guice was crying and tapping the woman, according to the Washington Post. Guice also reportedly grabbed the woman’s hair and pushed her. The woman left to catch a flight and did not look in the mirror until she had a layover. At that point, the woman took pictures to document her injuries. That incident allegedly occurred March 13.

The woman also detailed two other instances of domestic violence by Guice. The woman says Guice pushed her in February. The injury resulted in the woman’s thumbnail falling off due to a popped blood vessel. The woman took pictures of her injuries.

Guice reportedly also pushed the woman to the ground in April. Guice also allegedly took the woman’s phone and threw it in the street, breaking it. The woman also took pictures of her injuries from that day.

Guice’s attorney denies all charges.

Ron Rivera speaks about releasing Derrius Guice

Washington head coach Ron Rivera spoke Monday about the decision to release Guice, saying the team takes the allegations “very, very seriously,” according to the Post.

“Anytime you have to release a young, talented football player, it’s always a tough decision,” Rivera said in a video conference with reporters. “But this type of circumstance, this type of situation, we take those allegations very, very seriously and we had to make the decision going forward.”

Two days after releasing Guice, the team activated pass rusher Reuben Foster from the physically unable to perform list. Foster, 26, was arrested twice due to domestic violence accusations. Charges were dropped in both cases, which contributed to Rivera keeping Foster, according to NBC Sports.

“I think the biggest thing is Reuben was claimed here, and as he went through the process, certain things came out and he had his moment to be able to settle himself in and show that he was exonerated for the most part,” Rivera said Monday. “Reuben and I have talked about some things, some specific stuff — I’m not going to get into the details — but the one thing that Reuben has really shown since I’ve been here is that he’s doing things the right way. He’s doing things the way that we need him to do. He’s been excellent, he really has.”

Derrius Guice expected in court in August

Following his arrest, Guice was released on $10,000 bond. He’s due in court Aug. 28. The NFL has not commented on Guice’s situation yet. The league will likely perform an internal investigation into Guice’s case before making a ruling on a possible suspension.

More from Yahoo Sports: