Man City 3-1 West Ham: Phil Foden and Rodri fire City to four in a row

Man City 3-1 West Ham: Phil Foden and Rodri fire City to four in a row

Manchester City sealed a historic fourth Premier League title in a row on Sunday with a 3-1 win over West Ham.

Phil Foden scored after just 79 seconds, and then had another after 18 minutes. Mohammed Kudus set nerves wrangling until Rodri fired home with half an hour to play.

Arsenal had needed a favour from West Ham, who were already confirmed in ninth place and were playing out the final match of David Moyes' second spell as manager.

With City having shown little sign throughout the run-in of pressure affecting them, only optimistic Arsenal supporters were expecting them to slip up.

It took less than two minutes to dash even their hopes as City powered out of the traps to put the matter beyond all reasonable doubt.

With the sun blazing down and their player of the season Foden at his magical best, they did it in style.

Foden took a Bernardo Silva pass on the right and cut inside, skipping past a challenge from James Ward-Prowse and drilling a left-foot shot into the top corner from the edge of the box.

The atmosphere had already been buoyant but it was at this point the party really seemed to begin and City revelled in the occasion.

West Ham, without Jarrod Bowen due to tonsillitis, could do little to repel the hosts and it seemed only a matter of time before they doubled their lead as Jeremy Doku twice tested Alphonse Areola.

Rodri also lashed an effort wide but the second goal duly arrived on 18 minutes as Doku pulled the ball across the box and Foden swept home with a first-time shot.

Erling Haaland looked set to add another but Konstantinos Mavropanos did just enough to put him off as he shaped to shoot before Areola also denied the Norwegian.

The Hammers stirred before the break as Kudus forced a save from Stefan Ortega and then pulled one back with a stunning overhead strike.

It came following a corner as the ball struck Tomas Soucek and was flicked up into the air, with Kudus reacting instinctively to connect with a powerful bicycle kick.

With news filtering through soon after that Arsenal had equalised against Everton, to some the seeds for second-half drama may have been planted, but in reality there was little chance.

Haaland fired narrowly over and Kevin De Bruyne shot just wide soon after the break.

City tightened their grip and West Ham had seen little of the ball when Rodri powerfully guided home City's third from the edge of the box just before the hour.

There seemed little motivation from West Ham to respond and City calmly stroked the ball around.

Haaland went close to adding another when the ball glanced off his shoulder and flew inches wide.

Some hearts may have been in mouths when Soucek put the ball into the net two minutes from time but it clearly struck his arm and was disallowed by VAR.

City saw out five minutes of stoppage time without alarm and the celebrations began in earnest with thousands of fans ignoring requests to keep off the pitch.

Additional reporting by Press Association.