What's Buzzing:

Ex-Virginia college lacrosse player appeals murder conviction

Reuters
Abemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail handout photo of George Huguely V
.

View photo

George Huguely V is pictured in this undated photo released by the Abemarle-Charlottesville Regional …

By Gary Robertson

RICHMOND, Virginia (Reuters) - A former University of Virginia lacrosse player convicted of killing his ex-girlfriend should get a new trial, his attorney told an appeals court on Wednesday, saying he had been effectively denied the right to counsel.

Attorney Paul Clement told the Virginia Court of Appeals that George Huguely, 26, had objected to his 2012 jury trial going ahead when one of his attorneys became ill from stomach flu and could not question crucial medical witnesses.

A judge let the trial in Charlottesville proceed, violating Huguely's right to counsel of his choice under the U.S. Constitution's Sixth Amendment, Clement said.

Huguely, from Chevy Chase, Maryland, was convicted of second-degree murder last year for the May 2010 beating death of his ex-girlfriend, Yeardley Love, 22. Both he and Love were members of the university's nationally ranked lacrosse teams.

The case drew national attention to issues of domestic violence and alcohol abuse, and led to state and university reforms in reporting domestic violence. The Love family also started a foundation to honor Yeardley and promote education about relationship violence.

Prosecutors said Love, from Cockeysville, Maryland, died of blunt force trauma after Huguely forced his way into her apartment bedroom and slammed her head against a wall in a drunken rage.

Huguely was also convicted of grand larceny and sentenced in August 2012 to 23 years in prison.

The three-judge appeals panel withheld a decision following a 50-minute hearing. It was unclear when they might rule.

Leah Darron, a senior Virginia assistant attorney general, argued that Huguely's co-counsel never mentioned during the trial that his client's right to choose his own attorney was being violated.

She told the court that the co-counsel said he was ready to examine other witnesses without the ill lawyer being present.

Clement told the court that it was Huguely's right to raise the Sixth Amendment issues.

"It was not the right of the retained attorney to give it away," Clement said.

(Editing by Ian Simpson, Scott Malone, Bernadette Baum and Bob Burgdorfer)

View Comments (0)
  • Bale feels right at home in Madrid

    Bale feels right at home in Madrid

    It took more than two seasons but Gareth Bale finally feels settled at Real Madrid and is dreaming of big things to come. The Wales international will play his second Champions League final with Real in three seasons in Milan on Saturday. Bale, … More »

    Reuters - 5 minutes ago
  • Australia embrace guided missile technology in Ashes quest

    Australia embrace guided missile technology in Ashes quest

    Australia are resorting to guided missile technology to help their fast bowlers reclaim the Ashes from England next year. Steve Smith's team have been grappling with injuries in their pace attack with Peter Siddle and James Pattinson out of action, … More »

    Reuters - 25 minutes ago
  • St. Louis Blues' tank hits empty in Game 6 of conference final

    St. Louis Blues' tank hits empty in Game 6 of conference final

    Throughout the Western Conference Final the Blues put on a brave face, saying that their prior two seven-game series didn’t matter for this series. … More »

    Puck Daddy - 31 minutes ago
  • Benitez has full control over football matters at Newcastle

    Benitez has full control over football matters at Newcastle

    (Reuters) - Newcastle United manager Rafael Benitez has been assured full control of football-related decisions by the club's hierarchy as he aims for the side's immediate return to the Premier League. The 56-year old signed a three-year deal to … More »

    Reuters - 33 minutes ago
  • Uncapped Roux in Ireland squad to face Boks

    DUBLIN (Reuters) – - Ireland have named the uncapped lock Quinn Roux in their 32-man squad for the three-test away series against the Springboks starting in Cape Town on June 11. Connacht forward Roux is one of three players returning to the land of … More »

    Reuters - 54 minutes ago