Carlo Ancelotti has said Everton’s ambition was “the biggest factor” in his decision to take over at the Merseyside club.
The Italian, who has managed some of the world’s biggest clubs and won Champions League titles with both AC Milan and Real Madrid, was announced as the Toffees new boss on Saturday before being unveiled to the media on Monday.
"The biggest factor [in choosing to accept the job] was the ambition of the club, the history that this club has, the tradition and the atmosphere” created by the supporters, Ancelotti told reporters.
"[At] this club, we want to improve, we want to be a better team, we want to compete, and so these are the reasons I decided to come here.
"I love to train, I love to manage and I am really passionate about my job. Now I work for Everton, it is a fantastic club, and my dream is to bring Everton in the top positions of the Premier League as soon as possible."
The 60-year-old, who watched Saturday’s goalless draw with Arsenal from the stands, was dismissed by previous club Napoli earlier in December despite leading them to the Champions League knockout stages.
Ancelotti won the Premier League and FA Cup double with Chelsea in 2010 during his only previous managerial spell in England.
He has also picked up silverware at Juventus, PSG and Bayern Munich throughout a glittering 20-year managerial career.
As a player, he won back-to-back European Cups in 1989 and 1990 with Ariggo Sacchi’s all conquering AC Milan side.
Ancelotti revealed that Duncan Ferguson, who has been in caretaker charge since Marco Silva’s departure earlier in the month, will form part of his backroom team.
“I met Duncan after the (Arsenal) game. He will be my assistant,” Ancelotti added. “He’s really important for me.
“Duncan knows really well the characteristics of the players and the atmosphere at the training ground. It will be really helpful.”
Featured from our writers:
Ancelotti also spoke of his ambition to bring European football to Goodison Park in the long-term and his desire to work with players such as Moise Kean.
The 19-year-old Italian was controversially taken off by Ferguson during Everton’s recent 1-1 draw with Manchester United shortly after being introduced as a substitute.
“We tried to buy him [at Napoli],” Ancelotti said of Kean. “He’s a really good player with a lot of talent. He showed fantastic talent last year at Juventus.”
“We have to consider he is 19 years old and every player who changes country needs time to adapt.”
Everton currently sit 15th in the Premier League table and face Burnley in Ancelotti’s first game in charge on Boxing Day.