The National Weather Service in Miami extended its coastal flood advisory for Miami-Dade and Broward counties to 2 p.m. Monday.
The coastal flood advisory ends earlier in the Florida Keys — at 10 a.m. Sunday, according to the weather service in Key West. But tides are expected to remain elevated along the Keys and minor coastal flooding is possible in low lying areas, especially around high tide through the week along the island chain.
Blame the deep puddles on higher than normal King tides and the potential for minor saltwater coastal flooding around high tide times, CBS Miami meteorologist Lissette Gonzalez said during her Friday broadcast.
“Minor to moderate coastal flooding may persist along the Atlantic coast of South Florida through Monday, especially during periods of high tide,” the weather service said on Saturday.
What the forecast says
Going to the Inter Miami soccer match against New York City FC at Fort Lauderdale’s DRV PNK Stadium? The game starts at 7:30 p.m. Saturday. The question was will Lionel Messi play Saturday after a stress injury? Fans also want to know if they’ll sit in a storm to find out.
Thunderstorm chances were around 30% at the start of the game but 60% after 9 p.m. Could be hit and miss.
Saturday storm chance: Mostly 60% in South Florida, according to the weather center. The strongest storms could bring wind gusts of 50 mph. The slow-moving thunderstorms increase the flooding chance.
In the Keys, the storm chance is 40%. Wetter weather moves in Sunday evening, and Monday looks to be the day to spend inside watching “Singin’ in the Rain.” Shower and thunderstorm chance is 60%, according to Key West meteorologists.
Rip currents will be high along Palm Beach County beaches and moderate in Broward and Miami-Dade through the weekend.
Sunday-Monday storm chance: Scattered to numerous showers and thunderstorms are still likely in the afternoons at 80% and 60% in South Florida, respectively. But don’t rule out some bangers before the afternoon.
The Keys settles into a 20% slight chance of storms through Friday.
When drier air moves in
Tuesday brings relief from the rain. Mostly. Drier air is expected to sweep some of the cloud coverage away and make for a mostly sunny day.
Tuesday forecast: A 20% slight chance of thunderstorms during the day, and up to 40% after 3 p.m. It will be gusty, though, with winds up to 20 mph.
Wednesday forecast: Less dry as some thunderstorms could move in after 9 a.m. A 50% chance.
Thursday-Friday forecast: Closer to Tuesday as precipitation chance holds at 30%.
Expect to feel more comfy compared to summer temperatures without the extremes we had been seeing into September. The forecast calls for highs in the mid- to upper-80s, like 87 or so, Saturday through Friday, with nighttime lows in the upper-70s.