Antonio Conte says it would be ‘stupid’ to risk Tottenham new-boy Clement Lenglet against Chelsea

·1 min read
New Tottenham signing Clement Lenglet will not be risked against Chelsea  (Tottenham Hotspur FC via Getty I)
New Tottenham signing Clement Lenglet will not be risked against Chelsea (Tottenham Hotspur FC via Getty I)

Antonio Conte has confirmed Clement Lenglet will not be involved as Tottenham travel to Chelsea on Sunday.

While Spurs’ aggressive summer recruitment drive has raised expectations this season, none of their new signings started the win over Southampton on the Premier League’s opening weekend.

Lenglet, Yves Bissouma and Ivan Perisic all came off the bench during the 4-1 win, while Djed Spence and Fraser Forster remained unused substitutions. Richarlison, meanwhile, was suspended but is available for the trip to Stamford Bridge.

After the game, Conte warned his new players they’d face a battle to get into the starting lineup, with the team who ended last season doing little to suggest they need replacing right away.

Lenglet, who joined on loan from Barcelona, has Ben Davies to oust in the starting XI, with the Welshman impressing under Conte so much as to be handed a new contract earlier this summer.

While the French international will surely get his chances, Conte has confirmed Lenglet will not be risked for Sunday’s game due to a slight abductor problem.

“It’s a little problem of fatigue and he’s a bit tired in his adductor,” said the Italian at his pre-match press conference.

“Nothing serious, only a precaution but it’s not good to take a stupid risk for one game.

“He’s having training sessions apart but I think it’s good for him to recover well and to have a good training session before he comes back with us.”