Morning SportsFlash:

Big League Stew

R.A. Dickey shows up at Mets’ holiday party, even though team wants to put coal in his stocking

Kevin Kaduk
Big League Stew

View photo

.

R.A. Dickey and Ike Davis (@Mets)

R.A. Dickey has become a favorite among baseball fans the past few years, not only because of his knuckleball-throwing talent but also because of his humble and working man's approach to all aspects of the game.

But, seriously, can anyone blame the Cy Young-winning pitcher for showing up at the New York Mets' holiday party to play the role of the grumpy elf? In "very pointed comments," Dickey told reporters on Tuesday that he'll likely leave the team as a free agent after the 2013 season if an extension isn't worked out this offseason. He said he's been more than generous in his asking price of a two-year, $26 million extension and that he's disappointed the Mets have been nickel-and-diming him over what he sees as a reasonable request.

From ESPN New York:

"In the context of the market, you want what you think is fair," Dickey said. "I feel like we're asking for less than what's fair because that's how it's been for me. There is a surprise sometimes when things don't get done quickly and you already think you're extending the olive branch. At the same time, they have a budget they have to adhere to. I don't know those numbers. And I try not to take it personally." [...]

Dickey laid down the gauntlet  [...]  saying he likely would depart as a free agent if the Mets chose to have him pitch next season without an extension."If that's the decision they feel like is best for the club, and that's the decision that they make, I feel like it would be unfortunate, because it probably is going to mean I'm not going to be back (in 2014)," Dickey said.

Dickey's appearance and comments come on the heels of Andy Martino's report in the New York Daily News that the Mets are offering a three-year, $25 million deal that would start in 2013 and take the place of the $5 million Dickey has remaining on his current contract. That's still $6 million off from the $31 million Dickey would be guaranteed with the extension his side is requesting. And, as more than several fans have pointed out, the Mets' deal looks a lot like the money the Kansas City Royals just gave Jeremy Guthrie and the Los Angeles Angels just gave Joe Blanton. It probably doesn't have to be noted, but neither pitcher came close to pitching at a Cy Young-level last season. Both were free agents, sure, but Dickey's "I'm outta here after 2013" trump card should be enough to force a deal closer to his real market value.

Also, as some other people have noted, the contract the Mets are reportedly offering Dickey sure doesn't match the high value they're trying to extract from other teams in trade talks.

Dickey was a guest on "The Daily Show" last week and Jon Stewart kicked off the interview by asking how the Mets were going to screw up the best thing that has happened to them over the past five years — a fan favorite pitcher who has outperformed a team-friendly contract and continues to represent the franchise in a great manner, even showing up in the middle of contract talks to put on a happy face for the team's charities.

Dickey deflected his way out of the question, but all Stewart has to do is sit back and read the sports pages to get his answer. The Mets are screwing it up as we speak.

Stay warm this winter ...
Follow @bigleaguestew@KevinKaduk and the BLS Facebook page!

View Comments (74)
  • Maria Sharapova on Russia's provisional Olympic team for Rio

    Russia has included Maria Sharapova on its preliminary team for the Olympic tennis tournament in August despite her provisional suspension for failing a drug test. Sharapova has been suspended since March after testing positive for the banned … More »

    The Canadian Press - 3 minutes 40 seconds ago
  • Nadal downs Bagnis to notch up double century

    Nadal downs Bagnis to notch up double century

    Rafael Nadal chalked up a double century of grand slam match wins by putting Argentine challenger Facundo Bagnis firmly in his place with a 6-3 6-0 6-3 demolition job in the second round of the French Open on Thursday. Playing in only his sixth … More »

    Reuters - 6 minutes ago
  • Nadal and Djokovic march on at Roland Garros

    Nadal and Djokovic march on at Roland Garros

    By Martyn Herman PARIS (Reuters) - A dominant Rafael Nadal arrived at one career milestone on Thursday but the speed of the Spaniard's rampage through the early rounds of the French Open suggests his eyes are fixed firmly on another more … More »

    Reuters - 8 minutes ago
  • Ricciardo fastest in Monaco on day of crashes

    Ricciardo fastest in Monaco on day of crashes

    By Alan Baldwin MONACO (Reuters) - Australian Daniel Ricciardo set the pace for Red Bull in Monaco Grand Prix practice on Thursday, with crashes and a loose drain cover putting safety back in the spotlight at Formula One's showcase race. Ricciardo … More »

    Reuters - 9 minutes ago
  • Tennis-Nadal and Djokovic march on at Roland Garros

    By Martyn Herman PARIS, May 26 (Reuters) - A dominant Rafael Nadal arrived at one career milestone on Thursday but the speed of the Spaniard's rampage through the early rounds of the French Open suggests his eyes are fixed firmly on another more … More »

    Reuters - 13 minutes ago