Buzzing The Net

Attack winger and Senators prospect Jarrod Maidens suffers setback, sent home from training camp

Cam Charron
Buzzing The Net

View photo

.

Maidens has been unable to play for 21 months (OHL Images)

Earlier this week Buzzing the Net wrote about the progress Owen Sound Attack winger Jarrod Maidens had made since his concussion back in November of 2011 that kept him out of the entire 2012-2013 season. At last report, he was back at full practices, although not 100 per cent with his game and well behind the level he was in his rookie OHL season.

Maidens suffered a huge setback this weekend though, as the Attack announced that Maidens has returned home from recurring symptoms with no timetable for return. This is devastating news, of course, with OHL training camps opening last week and NHL rookie camps starting this week, there was lots of opportunity for Maidens to get back into game action as both an Attack player and an Ottawa Senators prospect.Playing again on Nov. 30, Maidens took a knee to the head but continued playing, only beginning to suffer symptoms after the conclusion of the contest. Perhaps there's a debate to be had about whether Maidens would have continued in the game if there were tougher concussion protocols, and whether he would have healed quicker, but it's worth applauding the Attack for shutting down Maidens for now and not risking further injury.

Maidens is unfortunately another data point in the big concussion discussion that's become an unfortunate reality in contact sports over the last few years. Hopefully for his case this is just a setback and he will be able to one day continue playing hockey, but he'll have to wait longer to get into game action now. After suffering a concussion during the 2011 Memorial Cup, former Attack forward Joey Hishon didn't play until March 19, 2013, a span of 668 days between competitive games.

If you're counting, the clock on Maidens is at 641 days since he last played a hockey game. For his sake, hopefully he gets a chance to get back on the ice soon and continue working towards his dream, but not at the expense of his health.

Sign up for Yahoo Fantasy Hockey
Sorry you didn't like this comment. Please provide a reason below.

Are you sure?
Rating failed. Try again.
Request failed. Try again.
We will promote constructive and witty comments to the top, so everyone sees them!
Sorry, we can’t load comments right now. Try again.
    • Technical head Lowe could follow Rosberg out of Mercedes

      Technical head Lowe could follow Rosberg out of Mercedes

      By Alan Baldwin LONDON (Reuters) - Technical head Paddy Lowe could be about to follow newly-retired Formula One world champion Nico Rosberg out of the door at dominant Mercedes. The motorsport.com website reported multiple sources "with good … More »

      Reuters - 6 minutes ago
    • Wasteful Sundowns sent packing by Kashima

      Wasteful Sundowns sent packing by Kashima

      Kashima Antlers survived a first-half battering from Mamelodi Sundowns before scoring twice in the last half-hour to beat the African champions 2-0 in their Club World Cup quarter-final on Sunday. Yasushi Endo and substitute Mu Kanazaki scored to … More »

      Reuters - 24 minutes ago
    • After protest over sponsor flap, Kristoffersen wins slalom

      After protest over sponsor flap, Kristoffersen wins slalom

      VAL D'ISERE, France (AP) -- Motivated after missing a race over a sponsor flap, Henrik Kristoffersen of Norway won a World Cup slalom Sunday as first-run leader Alexis Pinturault straddled a gate in his second trip down. … More »

      AP - Sports - 24 minutes ago
    • England will not bat out to draw Mumbai test, says Anderson

      England will not bat out to draw Mumbai test, says Anderson

      By Sudipto Ganguly MUMBAI (Reuters) - England will not look to play for a draw on the final day of the fourth test against India but would rather try to score quickly to set the hosts a target and keep alive the series, fast bowler James Anderson … More »

      Reuters - 26 minutes ago
    • The Latest: Istanbul arrests 3 for posting on stadium attack

      The Latest: Istanbul arrests 3 for posting on stadium attack

      The Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor's office says three people have been detained for social media posts regarding Saturday night's attack in Istanbul that killed 38 people. The car-and suicide-bombing near Istanbul's Besiktas stadium killed … More »

      The Canadian Press - 34 minutes ago