Here are your Puck Headlines: a glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
Yahoo! Sports Canada is working with cartoonist Wes Tyrell. Expect to see some his evil genius from time to time on PD.
• Brian Burke has been fired. Should Phil Kessel follow him out the door? [Globe & Mail]
• The Toronto Maple Leafs’ new slogan is “Burn The Boats.” Which is an improvement from their previous slogan “Stop Torching our Goalies.” [TSN]
• Why Roberto Luongo should be the Vancouver Canucks’ starting goalie this season. [Canucks Army]
• The great Jay Pandolfo is trying to make the cut for the Boston Bruins. If not, it could be the end of his career. [CSNNE]
• The Edmonton Oilers snag Mark Fistric from the Dallas Stars for a third-round pick. Jonathan Willis: “Obviously, Fistric was not acquired for his offense. He does, however, add some much needed NHL experience to a blue line that was already thin before the loss of Andy Sutton to injury.” [Cult of Hockey]
• Joe Nieuwendyk on the Mark Fistric trade: “As you know, these are never easy decisions, but I feel comfortable where are kids are at and it’s not just the two (Jordie Benn and Brenden Dillon) we have here in camp. I think there’s (Jamie) Oleksiak and (Patrik) Nemeth, too. That factors into it.” [Dallas Stars Insider]
• Is Ilya Kovalchuk still the next captain of the New Jersey Devils? [Pucks and Pitchforks]
• Tomas Holmstrom is gone, so expect to see copious amounts of the Mule in front of opposing goalies. [MLive]
• Just so we’re all clear: Talks haven’t broken off between the Colorado Avalanche and Ryan O’Reilly. [Mike Chambers]
• Jim Vandermeer signs with the Vancouver Canucks. [Province]
• As does Cam Barker. [Sun]
• Mark Scheifele tries to make the Winnipeg Jets, and an impact on the Calder race. [Times Colonist]
• Pierre LeBrun on the KHL and its Olympic gambit: “The world’s greatest hockey tournament is coming to his country next February and he will want the best players in the world to be there. Oh, sure, I believe the likes of Ovechkin, Kovalchuk and Datsyuk would risk NHL suspension and try to play in Sochi even if the NHL isn’t there. But would Henrik Zetterberg, Sidney Crosby and Zach Parise do the same? No way. They’re only going if the NHL and NHLPA have signed off on it. I can’t imagine Russia would feel that proud about winning Olympic gold without the other countries having their top players in the tournament.” [ESPN]
• A few NHL teams are scrimmaging their AHL counterparts this week, including the Detroit Red Wings vs. the Grand Rapids Griffins. [Malik]
• ... as might the Minnesota Wild vs. the Houston Aeros. Plus, the NJ Devils are scrimmaging the Albany Devils on Wednesday. [Hockey Wilderness]
• Won’t someone please give Chris Campoli a job? [Sportsnet]
• Finally, the San Francisco Bulls are quickly becoming one of our favorite minor league teams.