• The Canadian Press

    Montreal Impact send veteran 'keeper Evan Bush to Vancouver Whitecaps

    VANCOUVER — The Vancouver Whitecaps have moved to solve their ongoing goalkeeper woes, acquiring veteran netminder Evan Bush from the Montreal Impact.Montreal will receive Vancouver's third-round pick in the 2021 Major League Soccer SuperDraft in exchange.Bush, 34, has been with the Impact since 2011, appearing in 176 regular season games where he made 562 saves and earned 40 clean sheets.The native of Concord Township, Ohio, has not played for Montreal this year, however, with Montreal coach Thierry Henry relying instead on Clement Diop.Vancouver has struggled to keep goalkeepers healthy this season. Maxime Crepeau has returned to training after suffering a fractured thumb at the MLS is Back tournament in July.The injury forced the club to call on 21-year-old Thomas Hasal, who appeared in nine games for Vancouver before he was injured in the club's 2-1 win over Real Salt Lake last week.The Whitecaps announced Monday that the Saskatoon native will "miss an indefinite period of time" with a concussion and a stress fracture to his left tibia.Bryan Meredith has taken over the Whitecaps net for the last two games, suffering a brutal 6-0 shelling at the hands of Los Angeles FC on Wednesday, and taking a 1-0 loss to the Portland Timbers on Sunday.The Whitecaps also have 18-year-old homegrown 'keeper Isaac Boehmer on their roster.Still, the club needed to bring in Bush because of the "uncertainty around (its) goalkeeper position," sporting director Axel Schuster said in a release."We explored a number of possibilities and Evan Bush is an experienced professional who will provide us another strong option in net along with Bryan Meredith," he said.Bush will be among familiar faces in Vancouver. Whitecaps coach Marc Dos Santos originally brought Bush to Montreal in 2011, and Bush played seven years under the 'Caps current goalkeeper coach Youssef Dahha.Impact sporting director Olivier Renard said Montreal made the trade because the club is happy with the work from their other goalkeepers, including Diop, James Pantemis and Jonathan Sirois."We want to thank Evan for the ten seasons he played in Montreal and for his great professionalism," Renard said in a release.All three Canadian MLS teams are currently stationed south of the border due to COVID-19 restrictions.The Whitecaps have set up a home base in Portland, Ore., and will be back in action on Saturday when they battle the Sounders in Seattle.The Impact are living and training in Harrison, N.J., where they will host the Chicago Fire on Saturday. This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 28, 2020.The Canadian Press

  • City finally set to replace Kompany by signing Dias for $78M
    The Canadian Press

    City finally set to replace Kompany by signing Dias for $78M

    Sixteen months later, Manchester City has finally found a replacement for long-time captain Vincent Kompany.Portugal international Rúben Dias was on the verge of joining City from Benfica on Monday, with the Portuguese team saying the centre back was moving for a fee of 68 million euros ($78 million).In return, Benfica said, Nicolás Otamendi would be joining the club from City for 15 million euros ($17.2 million).City hasn't confirmed the transfers.Kompany ended his 11-year stint at City in May 2019 but was not replaced last season, when City relinquished its English Premier League title in meek fashion to Liverpool.Despite signing Nathan Ake for 40 million pounds ($46 million) during the off-season as a backup to left-sided centre back Aymeric Laporte, City remained in the hunt for a right-sided centre half to effectively replace Kompany.John Stones and Eric Garcia played in that position in City’s two league games so far this season, but both players’ futures are uncertain. Garcia has been linked with a return to Barcelona, while Stones was largely frozen out of the team last season.The 23-year-old Dias, a tall and strong defender comfortable with the ball at his feet, has played 19 times for Portugal. He has established himself as a regular with the national team after being a squad member at the 2018 World Cup in Russia.Dias has come through the Benfica academy, joining its senior squad in 2015. He was captain for what could prove to be his final game for the team, against Moreirense on Saturday, and embraced his teammates and sporting director Rui Costa after the final whistle in a signal that he was about to leave.Benfica said the transfers of Dias and Otamendi were yet to be completed, with contracts still to be signed and medical examinations to be taken.City has spent heavily on centre backs since 2014, bringing in Eliaquim Mangala from FC Porto that year for a reported 42 million pounds, Otamendi from Valencia for 32 million pounds in 2015, and Stones for an initial 47.5 million pounds in 2016.Laporte joined from Athletic Bilbao for a then-club-record fee of 65 million euros ($80 million) in January 2018.Now Ake and Dias will have moved for a combined $124 million.___More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports___Steve Douglas is at https://twitter.com/sdouglas80Steve Douglas, The Associated Press

  • Barcelona laughs in the face of your narratives
    Yahoo Sports

    Barcelona laughs in the face of your narratives

    Barcelona spent the (abbreviated) offseason in turmoil, including an open revolt from Lionel Messi. And yet there they were Sunday, winning their La Liga opener briskly and with little drama.