President Volodymyr Zelenskiy praised Ukrainian troops, on Monday June 5, and welcomed what he said was ‘the news we have been waiting for’.
In his nightly video address, Zelesnky said: “I am grateful to each of our soldiers, to all of our defenders who gave us the news we have been waiting for. Bakhmut direction. Well done, soldiers!”
He did not provide further detail. Reuters reported the commander of Ukraine’s ground forces, Oleksandr Syrskyi, said earlier that his forces continued “moving forward” near Bakhmut.
Russia’s Ministry of Defense said on June 5 that a major Ukrainian counteroffensive in Donetsk Oblast had been thwarted the day previous, claiming Russian forces killed some 250 troops and destroyed a number of armored vehicles.
Ukraine’s military said it had no information about a major attack in the region. A spokesperson told Reuters, “We do not have such information and we do not comment on any kind of fake.” Credit: Volodymyr Zelensky via Storyful