A behind the scenes look at the making of Yahoo Build It Forward.
A behind the scenes look at the making of Yahoo Build It Forward.
Follow along for the latest news from the 2021 NHL trade deadline.
The biggest prize of the NHL Trade Deadline is off the board, as Taylor Hall is heading to the Boston Bruins.
Pascal Siakam's double dribble in the final seconds cost the Raptors a chance to win Sunday night.
Toronto has secured netminding help ahead of the deadline, which begs the question: What does this mean for Frederik Andersen's season?
No one is nearly as excited as the announcer.
The Bruins fortified their blueline less than 24 hours before Monday's trade deadline.
A journey 10 years in the making reached its conclusion Sunday, with Hideki Matsuyama winning the Masters.
The Edmonton Oilers had to play just hours after an emotional service for former teammate Colby Cave.
Jeff Carter is reportedly on his way to the Pittsburgh Penguins, with the hopes of adding some secondary scoring punch.
A leaky roof at Madison Square Garden caused a 14-minute rain delay in Sunday's game between the Toronto Raptors and New York Knicks.
Get news, analysis, memes and more delivered to your inbox the morning after every Raptors game.
It's believed to be the first 21K perfect game.
The CFL has continued talks with the federal government about securing financial assistance in an effort to return to the field this season. A source confirmed talks are ongoing. The source was granted anonymity because the league and federal government have not divulged details of the talks. The two sides have maintained informal dialogue since last August when the CFL cancelled plans for an abbreviated '20 season after being unable to secure a $30-million interest-free loan from Ottawa during the COVID-19 pandemic. However, CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie has said his league and Ottawa have left the door open regarding future plans. The CFL unveiled a full 18-game schedule for all nine teams last November, but Ambrosie has also stated the league is keeping all of its options — including teams playing a shorter schedule — open. The season is scheduled to begin in June. Last year, the CFL approached Ottawa for funding it maintained was crucial for an abbreviated season. Ambrosie said the league lost around $20 million in 2019 and a source familiar with the situation told The Canadian Press that not playing last year cost the CFL between $60 and $80 million The source was granted anonymity because the league has never revealed its financial results for 2020. However, if the league does resume play in 2021, there's no denying the importance of being able to do so with fans in the stands. That's because the CFL is a gate-driven league, with all nine reams relying heavily upon ticket sales to help achieve their bottom line. So pushing back the start of the season could allow more Canadians to receive COVID-19 vaccinations and thus potentially be able to attend games in larger numbers.. Another key element of the CFL's 2021 plan is the adoption of a health-and-safety plan by both provincial and federal officials. Currently, the league's health-and-safety protocols are before the six provincial governments where its franchises are currently located. This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 12, 2021. Dan Ralph, The Canadian Press
Marquette King hasn't punted in two full seasons.
Gary Trent Jr. has been on an extraordinary run on and off the court since joining the Toronto Raptors.
MADRID — Lucas Vázquez has become the latest injury setback for Real Madrid ahead of facing Liverpool in the second leg of the Champions League quarterfinals, leaving coach Zinedine Zidane with few options at right back. His absence compounds the problems for a Madrid defence already without central defenders Sergio Ramos and Raphael Varane. Eden Hazard also wasn't included in the list for Wednesday's match, when Madrid will try to defend a 3-1 win from the first leg and return to the semifinals for the first time since it won the final against Liverpool in 2018. Vázquez had to be replaced near halftime in the team's 2-1 win over Barcelona on Saturday in the last clásico of the season in the Spanish league. The club said tests on Monday showed that the versatile Spanish player has a sprained crucial ligament on his left knee. Madrid did not say how long Vázquez is expected to be sidelined but it is unlikely he will play again this season. The injury happened after he and Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets collided as they both slid to try to reach a ball near midfield. Vázquez had been key for Madrid recently while playing right back as a replacement for Dani Carvajal, who remains injured and also won't make the trip to England. Álvaro Odriozola is also a right back and he replaced Vázquez in the clásico, but he has been marred by injuries this season and has only played in a few games this year. Zidane in the past improvised with Nacho Fernández as a right back, but he will likely be needed as a central defender again to play alongside Éder Militão because of the absences of regular starters Ramos, who is injured, and Varane, who is recovering from the coronavirus. Midfielder Federico Valverde also left the game against Barcelona because of a physical problem but he was included in the squad for the match in Liverpool. Hazard has been practicing with his teammates but still isn't fully fit to play. “We’ve reached the limit physically,” Zidane said after the clásico. The injury for the 29-year-old Vázquez, who has played most of his career with Madrid, comes just as his contract with the club is set to expire this season. He set up Karim Benzema's opening goal against Barcelona on Saturday. Madrid has won six games in a row in all competitions and is unbeaten in 13 consecutive matches. But the defending Spanish league champions trail leader Atlético Madrid by one point with eight matches to go. ___ More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports ___ Tales Azzoni on Twitter: http://twitter.com/tazzoni Tales Azzoni, The Associated Press
BUFFALO, N.Y. — The banged-up Boston Bruins got a boost for their playoff push Monday by acquiring forward Taylor Hall in a trade Monday with the Buffalo Sabres. The Bruins also added checking line forward Curtis Lazar, who has missed the past six games with an upper body injury. Buffalo acquired fourth-year forward Anders Bjork and a second-round pick in a deal completed before the NHL’s trade deadline. As part of the deal, the Sabres agreed to retain half he remainder of Hall’s one-year, $8 million salary. The NHL’s 2018 MVP was deemed expendable by last-place Buffalo, which is already retooling for beyond this season. “I still believe in myself as a player. I still feel like I can add things to a team. ... That’s what makes me really excited,” Hall said. “I really just want to be part of a winning team. However I can do that, I’m all-in.” The Bruins have lost two straight following an 8-1 loss to the Washington Capitals on Sunday. At 21-12-6, they hold the East Division’s fourth and final playoff spot, and are four points ahead of the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers. Boston has four players on injured reserve, including forward Ondrej Kase and defenceman Brandon Carlo. In the meantime, defencemen Charlie McAvoy missed his fourth game with an upper body injury, and defenceman Matt Grzelcyk is also sidelined. In a separate trade on Sunday, the Bruins also acquired defenceman Mike Reilly from the Ottawa Senators for a third-round pick. The Sabres, by comparison, are in sell-off mode with the team all but assured of matching the NHL playoff drought record of 10 seasons. Buffalo traded defenceman Brandon Montour to Florida on Saturday, and previously traded veteran centre Eric Staal to Montreal. The Sabres began sitting out Hall for precautionary reasons since Tuesday in anticipation of a trade. Hall was the key to thedeal because he was considered one of the few remaining impact forwards still on the market. Questions, however, have been raised as to whether his drop in production is the result of the 29-year-old having lost a step or because he’s playing on a struggling Sabres team that is 29th in goals-per-game. Hall, the No. 1 pick in the 2010 draft, was limited to two goals and 17 assists for 19 points in 37 games, and is in the midst of a 16-game goal drought. That’s a considerable drop from his 2017-18 MVP season in New Jersey, where he posted career-bests with 39 goals and 93 points in 76 games. “It was such a whirlwind of a year. It went pretty badly, obviously,” Hall said. “It wasn’t the season I would have like to have, not even close. These last few days you do some soul-searching, look to what you could do better in the future.” Hall is on to his fourth team in two years. He was traded by New Jersey to Arizona last season, and then became a free agent after negotiations broke down with the Coyotes because of internal turmoil, which led Bill Armstrong taking over as general manager. Buffalo acquired the 24-year-old Bjork, who had two goals and three assists in 30 games this season, a year after generating a career-best nine goals and 19 points in 58 games. Overall, the 2014 fifth-round draft pick out of Notre Dame has 16 goals and 39 points in 138 career games with Boston. Little has gone right for Buffalo. Coach Ralph Krueger was fired on March 17, and the Sabres' season was undone by mounting injuries and a pause for two weeks following a COVID-19 outbreak in early February. Hall was among the most sought forwards on the free agent market in October, and surprised many by signing with Buffalo. He was reunited with Krueger, who played a key role in mentoring Hall during his first three seasons in Edmonton. Krueger pushed for the signing, making the case to management that Buffalo was one player away from being a contender despite coming off a season in which the team finished 13th in the Eastern Conference and one spot from qualifying for the expanded playoffs. Hall was initially interested in staying in Buffalo upon signing with the team. His focus began changing by eventually acknowledging he was open to waiving his no-trade clause last month while the team was in the midst of an 18-game winless skid — the NHL’s 14th longest. ___ AP Sports Writer Jimmy Golen contributed to this story from Boston. ___ More AP NHL: https://apnews.com/hub/NHL and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports John Wawrow, The Associated Press
Shota Hayafuji took an extra second during a long-held caddy tradition to pay tribute to the legendary golf course.
OSAKA, Japan — In a season all but erased by COVID-19, a handful of Canadian figure skaters will have one last chance to compete at this week's World Team Trophy in Osaka, Japan. Nam Nguyen and Roman Sadovsky are the men's singles skaters, Alison Schumacher and Gabrielle Daleman will compete in women's singles, Lori-Ann Matte and Thierry Ferland are Canada's pairs team, and Carolane Soucisse and Shane Firus will compete in ice dance. The Team Trophy, which runs Thursday through Sunday, awards points to countries in the four disciplines combined. Canada won gold in the team event at the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics, and silver in the event in 2014 in Sochi, Russia. Canada is sending a different team than the one that competed at the world figure skating championships last month in Stockholm, giving precious competition experience to skaters in a season that was virtually wiped out by the global pandemic. Both Skate Canada International and the Canadian championships were cancelled. The only semi-competitive event skaters completed in was the Skate Canada Challenge which was virtual - far from ideal in a pre-Olympic season. As of now, a limited number of fans will be allowed in Maruzen Intec Arena, despite rising COVID-19 cases in Osaka. Athletes will compete in a bubble environment, travelling only between the designated hotel and arena. The Tokyo Olympic torch relay recently cancelled the leg that was scheduled to pass through Osaka on Tuesday and Wednesday, raising questions about whether the Team Trophy would still go ahead. Osaka governor Hirofumi Yoshimura announced Sunday he may request a state of emergency amid the steep climb in COVID-19 cases and growing signs of a fourth wave driven by new variants. This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 12, 2021. The Canadian Press
Start the week off with some savings.