The Panthers RB accounted for 61 total yards last week - and Liz Loza explains why we shouldn't expect much vs. Washington.
The Panthers RB accounted for 61 total yards last week - and Liz Loza explains why we shouldn't expect much vs. Washington.
Patrik Laine might want to be elsewhere, but it's not going to affect his performance.
The Yankees' best player over the past two years is nearing a deal to re-sign in New York, sources told Yahoo Sports.
"As much taxes as these players pay, they deserve some preferential treatment."
It wasn't pretty at all, but the Toronto Raptors picked up their third win of the season against the middling Charlotte Hornets.
The Toronto Raptors haven't got off to the start they wanted and the time is looming for the front office to make a decision. Do they try to improve the roster or roll with what they have?
Brazil's federal police arrested Argentine golfer Angel Cabrera on Thursday for extradition to his homeland to face charges for several crimes.
Toronto Raptors point guard Kyle Lowry has liked what he's seen from Yuta Watanabe, spoke fondly about the 26-year-old's play and reveals the nickname the team has for him.
It's a classic in the making as Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers' offense face off against Jalen Ramsey and the Los Angeles Rams' defense.
A divorce between Pierre-Luc Dubois and the Blue Jackets seems imminent, and a lot of NHL teams should be jumping at the chance to acquire the star center.
The swimmer won gold for Team USA with Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte in 2004 and 2008.
The NBA also said that Irving will have to forfeit salary for any games he misses while quarantining.
NEW YORK — Kyrie Irving's absence from the Brooklyn Nets has cost him nearly $1 million. The NBA fined the point guard $50,000 on Friday for violating its health and safety protocols, and said he could return to team activities Saturday. The league added that he would forfeit his salary for each game he misses during a five-day quarantine period that would end Saturday if he continues to test negative for the coronavirus. He's already missed two, which means he has lost more than $900,000 of his $33.5 million salary. Irving has missed the last five games while away from the Nets for personal reasons. He was seen in a video on social media during his absence at an indoor family party while not wearing a mask. The league's protocols prohibit attending indoor social gatherings of 15 or more people or entering bars, lounges, clubs or similar establishments. Irving is the second player to be fined for that. The other is his new teammate, James Harden. The Nets have not explained the reasons for Irving's absence, leaving it to him to do when he returns. Their next game is Saturday against Orlando. “Without a doubt, the organization’s disappointed with not having any one of our players, in this particular case Kyrie, not amongst us, not in the trenches with us and so forth,” general manager Sean Marks said Thursday during a news conference to discuss the trade for Harden. “So I don’t want to speculate and say why he’s out and so forth. I've had conversations with him and I’ll continue to have conversations and we look forward to him being back in the gym, where he will address this.” In December, Irving was was fined $25,000 by the NBA for not speaking to the media during preseason. Brian Mahoney, The Associated Press
It has been another chaotic week of curling cancellations in Canada as more member associations finally surrendered to a seemingly inevitable fate, in the most fair way possible, hand picking their representatives for this year's Scotties and Brier. And while there is more clarity about what the fields will look like just over a month from the beginning of the curling frenzy set to take place in the Calgary curling bubble, there are still a lot of unknowns. To recap, eight jurisdictions across Canada have now cancelled their playdowns — they include: B.C., Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Northern Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia. Nunavut played a best-of-five men's showdown last weekend. P.E.I., N.L., N.B., N.W.T., and Yukon are all still endeavouring to play some sort of championship to determine their representatives. With so many cancellations, many curlers and fans continue to wonder why Curling Canada is so determined to go on with the show in Calgary. There are a number of factors — we know money and keeping sponsors happy is at the top of that list. But there's more to it. Niche sport Outside of Canada, curling is a niche sport in most countries. However, in Canada, it's on TV throughout the winter and early spring a lot between Curling Canada events and the Grand Slam of Curling. It's disappeared from the sports landscape for nearly a year. It's not lost on officials close to the sport as well as the curlers to continue to be relevant and hold onto valuable sponsors - they need to be on the ice and on TV. And it's also important to note that this is all leading to 2022 Beijing Olympics. Remember, Canada is coming off its worst performance ever at the Games, having missed the podium in the women's and men's events. The pressure on Curling Canada and athletes is immense. What many people take for granted and have assumed, incorrectly, is that Canada already has a place at the Olympics with just over a year away. Canadian curlers will need a top-six finish at both the men's and women's world championships to lock up a spot. That shouldn't be a problem if past history is any indication. But in a pandemic, with curling mostly shut down across the country because of health restrictions, Curling Canada knows how crucial it is for the top curlers to be on the ice — that's why they're pushing forward with the Scotties and Brier. It should be noted that the United States and Scotland, and there could likely be more countries, are not holding playdowns to determine their representatives for the world championships. Denmark's national championships were halted in December after 14 of the 16 curlers competing got COVID-19. The women's worlds are scheduled to take place in Switzerland in late March and the men's world championship is set for the Calgary bubble in early April. WATCH | Heroux, Jones break down Calgary bubble: Expanded field Which brings us to an expanded field at this year's championships. It's looking more and more likely there will be 18 teams at both the Scotties and Brier — the largest fields in the history of both events. The reason this is happening is because there will be no wild-card game this year. That match, played on the Friday night before the main event, has been a dramatic one-game showdown for the top two Canadian teams that did not qualify through their regional championships. Win and you're in, lose and you head home. Curling Canada did not want two wild-card teams traveling to the bubble to play one game and possibly have to leave if they lost. These unprecedented times called for unprecedented measures, says Curling Canada. They want to make sure the best teams in the country are on the ice. "So much is riding on this Olympic qualifying season, we had to make sure that the fields for both the Scotties Tournament of Hearts and Tim Hortons Brier includes Canada's top teams. With many of them not having the chance to earn their way into these events through the traditional route, we feel this is the best possible way to remedy that issue," said Katherine Henderson, CEO of Curling Canada. For instance, Alberta has yet to name their representatives but should they go with the format many others have, Brendan Bottcher will get the nod as he was last year's provincial champion. Here's the snag: Kevin Koe's team did not compete in provincials as they wear Team Canada colours after winning the previous Brier. Making space for Koe So instead of punishing Koe for not winning last year's championship and not letting him in this year's event, Curling Canada is making space for them. A lot is hinging on who Alberta selects as its representatives — that will then create a domino effect on the rest of the field. The expanded field is increasing from 16 to 18 teams — the two teams that would have played in the wild-card game and then a third team. Third team that is going to be selected based on criteria is unknown at this point. There will be no shortage of drama over who that third team is on both the men's and women's side. A quick note on team's who made off-season changes. To be eligible, three of four players need to be returning. If it's two of four, then they are ineligible for, at the very least, the two wild-card spots. We'll see if Curling Canada is willing to make exceptions for that third spot. Here is the field as it stands right now: Women Canada — Kerri Einarson. B.C. — Corryn Brown. Saskatchewan — Sherry Anderson. Manitoba — Jennifer Jones. Ontario — Rachel Homan. Northern Ontario — Krysta Burns. Quebec — Laurie St-Georges. Nova Scotia — Jill Brothers. Nunavut — Lori Eddy. Men Canada — Brad Gushue. B.C. — Steve Laycock. Saskatchewan — Matt Dunstone. Manitoba — Jason Gunnlaugson. Ontario — John Epping. Northern Ontario — Brad Jacobs. Quebec — Michael Fournier. Nunavut — Peter Mackey. There are six major curling events planned for the Calgary curling bubble starting with the Scotties on Feb. 19. That will then lead into the men's national championship beginning of March. 5. Following these two events, the mixed doubles championship will take place all leading to the men's world curling championship, set to begin in early April. The final two events held inside the bubble include two Grand Slam of Curling bonspiels.
Andrew Harris is back for another year with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. The veteran running back signed a one-year contract extension with his hometown team Friday. But the 33-year-old Winnipeg native was more than willing to commit to a longer deal. "I would've signed a five-year (extension) to be honest with you," Harris said with a chuckle during a videoconference with reporters. "I don't know if you could see a 39-year-old running back. "For me, I'm taking it year by year, I've always been that way. You're always one hit away from this being over so you have to take it play by play, day by day and year by year. For me, it's nothing different there." Financial details weren't divulged but many CFL players have re-signed for less money with the league having not operated in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Harris said the extension was never about money. "Everyone is feeling the effects on the financial side," he said. "We all have to kind of adapt to that. "For me, it was a seamless conversation, an easy conversation with Kyle (Bombers' GM Kyle Walters). We both kind of understood each other and where we're at. It wasn't too difficult to get to where we are today." Harris will return for a fifth season with Winnipeg. He has led the CFL in rushing the past three years. He was named the game MVP and most valuable Canadian in Winnipeg's Grey Cup win over Hamilton in 2019. During the 2019 season, Harris passed Ben Cahoon to become the CFL's career leader in yards from scrimmage by a Canadian. He also moved past Normie Kwong as the Canadian career rushing leader. A five-time CFL all-star, Harris also was named the league's most outstanding Canadian in 2017. REDBLACKS SIGN FOUR The Ottawa Redblacks have signed Canadian linebacker Brad Cowan and defensive back Dagogo Maxwell and American defensive backs Brandin Dandridge and Marcus Roberson. Cowan was Ottawa's sixth-round pick in the CFL draft. He played university football at Wilfrid Laurier in Waterloo, Ont. Maxwell was Calgary's fifth-round pick in 2018 out of UBC. He had six special-teams tackles with Calgary in 2019 before signing with Ottawa. Dandridge had 12 defensive tackles and four pass breakups in four games in 2019 with Ottawa. Roberson had 20 defensive tackles in 11 games for Toronto in 2018, his last action in the CFL. TICATS RE-SIGN DARIUS CIRACO The Hamilton Tiger-Cats re-signed Canadian offensive lineman Darius Ciraco on Friday. Contract details weren't divulged. Ciraco, 24, has started 34 career regular-season games since being selected in the first round, No. 6 overall, by Hamilton in the 2018 CFL draft. The six-foot-four, 292-pound native of Burlington, Ont., has also participated in four playoff games with the Ticats. Ciraco played collegiately at Calgary (2014-17). This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 15, 2021. The Canadian Press
CLEVELAND — Joel Bitonio's long playoff wait with the Browns is over. The Pro Bowl left guard has was activated from the COVID-19 list Friday after missing last week’s wild-card win over Pittsburgh. Cleveland’s longest tenured player, Bitonio had to isolate at home and missed his first career post-season game — and the Browns' first since the 2002 season. It was a devastating development for Bitiono, who had endured so much losing with the Browns before this turnaround season. But he’ll get his long-awaited chance to play in the post-season this week. The Browns, who stunned the Steelers in the wild-card round, face the Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday in the AFC divisional round. Bitonio was one of several Browns players and coaches to be sidelined over the past three weeks with the coronavirus. Bitonio's return is a huge boost for Cleveland's solid offensive line, which has had to adjust numerous times over the past few weeks because of injuries and COVID-19. Last week, Michael Dunn, who barely played all season, started in Bitonio's spot and played exceptionally before suffering a season-ending calf injury. He was replaced by Blake Hance, who had just been signed off the New York Jets' practice squad and first met Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield in the locker room before the game at Heinz Field. Another worry this week for the Browns is All-Pro right tackle Jack Conklin. He's missed the past two days of practice with a hamstring injury sustained early in the win over Pittsburgh. The Browns have slowly been getting key pieces back this week. On Wednesday, coach Kevin Stefanski returned in person to the team after also missing last week's game with COVID-19. He prepared the team virtually for the Steelers but then watched the win over the Steelers from his basement at home. Top cornerback Denzel Ward and cornerback Kevin Johnson both were activated from the COVID-19 list, and they're needed more than ever against Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes and his arsenal of offensive threats. ___ More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL Tom Withers, The Associated Press
Bruins defenseman Matt Grzelcyk was one of several emerging players who caught Scott Pianowski's eye on Thursday night. Check out more of his early fantasy hockey observations.
Dalton Del Don offers up a selection of waiver wire pickups for Week 5 of the fantasy basketball season.
The NBA gave Orlando coach Steve Clifford a call recently, telling him he had to do a better job of keeping his mask on during games. Clifford’s answer was concise. “Yes, sir,” he said. He didn’t argue. He knows the rules, and how important they are. It has been a rough week for the NBA, with nine games postponed since Sunday amid positive COVID-19 tests for some players and potential exposures determined through contact tracing keeping others off the floor for several days. The league and the National Basketball Players Association earlier this week stiffened the protocols that players must live by during these delicate times, and coaches aren't exempt from saying they need to be more diligent on the safety front as well — particularly when it comes to masks. Properly wearing masks is part of life now, not just NBA life, as part of the effort to fend off the coronavirus. But when coaches feel the need to yell — which, let’s face it, is often — many still succumb to the urge to tug the mask down and make sure their voice is heard without whatever muffling can be caused by a thin piece of fabric. “It isn’t always easy,” Toronto coach Nick Nurse said of in-game mask life. “Sometimes I’m in the huddle or on the floor, and I’m doing all kinds of things to try to keep my mask on (and) let guys hear me, and after the third time they say ‘Coach, I can’t hear what you’re saying,’ you try to pull it down quick. But I’ve got to try to limit that the best I can. And sometimes in the heat of battle, it’s difficult." The postponed games, going back to Sunday, have involved 13 teams. It was also learned this week that 16 players tested positive in recent days, which was more than the NBA had seen in the last five weeks combined. And next week's report has the potential to be equally bad, possibly worse. Boston didn’t play for a full week and had three games pushed back. Miami lost twice in Philadelphia with half its roster unavailable because of virus-related issues, most of those involved players having to sit out after reviews of their contact-tracing data. Phoenix had a three-game homestand wiped away because the Suns didn’t have enough players to field a team. The league ramped up the protocols as part of its response, putting in strict, albeit temporary, limits on what players can do both at home and on the road — essentially limiting them to practices, games, workouts and tending to essential matters. Additional testing is under consideration, and stricter mask rules also apply to coaches. “Your form of communication has to change,” Miami coach Erik Spoelstra said. “But I can’t even believe how much of the norm this has become. I’ll be in my hotel room, by myself, a lot of times with my mask on and not even realize it.” Most NBA games are being played with no fans or just a few in the seats, yet games are still loud thanks to tons of piped-in fake cheers and boos, along with booming music. So even without crowds, crowd noise exists. Clippers forward Kawhi Leonard said, “at times,” it’s tough to hear coach Tyronn Lue. “But he’s doing a great job of communicating in time-outs or in practices, before games and meetings,” Leonard said. “We just have to have a focus and lock-in, just keep building our team chemistry and we’ll know what we are doing.” Clifford is a big-time mask proponent, and has been since even before the league restarted last season in the Walt Disney World bubble near Orlando. He has been preaching the values of mask-wearing for months. “I think there were seven of us who got a call from the league about ‘Keep your mask on,’” Clifford said. “So, I’m going to do better, no matter what. I have some masks that are easier for the guys to hear than others. I’m just going to wear the right mask. I’ve got to do better." ___ More AP NBA: https://apnews.com/NBA and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports Tim Reynolds, The Associated Press
The golfer faces charges of assault, illegal intimidation and repeated disrespect to authorities.
Kicking off a new series, Liz Loza looks at the staying power of 2020 sleepers like Jalen Hurts and more.