February 04, 2011
Here are your Puck Headlines: a glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• Hey, remember that fan contest the KHL was running in conjunction with the Russian version of Playboy Magazine? Here's your winner. From Dmitry Chesnokov:
"Players Leo Komarov, Geoff Platt and Michael Garnett helped pick the eventual winner. Her name is Maria Titova. She's 27, a graduate of Moscow State University of Economics, Statistics and Informatics. She was born in Tver, Russia, moved to Moscow 3 years ago, works as a Sales Manager. A fan of KHL's Spartak Moscow since 2008. She will be April's Playmate of the Month and will compete for Playmate of the Year."
There's a video of her on the KHL Facebook page. We can't link it here as it contains nudity and American society is so puritanical. Just know that when, er, if you go looking for it.
• Alexei Yashin(notes) said Garth Snow of the New York Islanders called him about Evgeni Nabokov(notes), and Yashin talked to the Islanders two years ago about joining them for a playoff push. [FanHouse]
• Turns out someone actually agrees with Ryan Lambert about Boston Bruins forward Daniel Paille's(notes) hit on Raymond Sawata last night ... and that someone is Daniel Paille: "It was a fast-paced play. I just recognized that Sawata was going on a breakaway, and I just went over to backcheck and get the puck, but he cut back to the middle. If you look the play, I'm ahead of him when I hit him, and I felt that I hit his shoulder at that moment. Looking at the replay I felt that he kind of turned towards me. ... I felt that I hit him in the shoulder at first." [WEEI and more from NESN]
• The Kurtenblog does not take too kindly to a sportswriter's comparison between Peter Forsberg and Brett Favre. Although both are rather deft at stickhandling on camera. [Kurtenblog]
• Here's something different: John Darnielle, singer for the Mountain Goats, reviews NHL All-Star Weekend: "Prior to the red carpet walk of the 2011 NHL All-Star teams, there's the promenade of the mascots. I don't think there's much I can tell you about the promenade that isn't already covered by the phrase 'promenade of the mascots' ..." [Indyweek, via Reader Chris P.]
• Something to bookmark: Ongoing "alternative" standings for the NHL, featuring three-points for a regulation win and/or 2 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, nothing for a loss. [5-Hole]
• "The Dallas Stars have placed right wing Adam Burish(notes) on injured reserve and sent him home with teammates Krys Barch(notes) and Ray Sawada after all were injured in a fight-marred game in Boston." [AP]
• Big showdown tonight between the Washington Capitals and the Tampa Bay Lightning. Dwayne Roloson(notes) on the Bolts' recent success against the Caps: "It's about going out and outplaying them and what I do every night. I go out and play and give our team a lot of credit, our defense and our forwards denying their quality chances against, which gives me an opportunity to make those saves." [Capitals Insider]
• JP slightly disagrees with the notion that tonight is a "must win" for the Capitals. [Japers' Rink]
• The Monster goes to the Marlies for conditioning. [The Star]
• Down Goes Brown presents the hockey fan's guide to the Super Bowl. [DGB]