September 30, 2010
Here are your Puck Headlines: a glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• The Edmonton Oilers have placed Sheldon Souray(notes) back on waivers, which could clear the way for the use of re-entry waivers in which another team would only pay half of his remaining salary. Goalie Martin Gerber(notes) was also put on waivers. [Dan Tencer]
• Now that Wade Redden(notes) is safely tucked away in the AHL, which New York Rangers player will become the team's new whipping boy? Or, in Chris Drury's(notes) case, the boy whipped harder than usual? [NY Mag]
• The top 5 goalies to watch in the 2010-11 NHL season. Not in the "hey, these guys play awesome" way, but in the "OMG, look at that potential train wreck" way. [CBC Sports]
• Adam Proteau on Ian Laprerriere's non-disclosure of a head injury to the Philadelphia Flyers: "I'm all for sucking it up in the traditional sense, but only when it comes to knees, legs, hips and other body parts that can be repaired. The brain, however, doesn't have that capacity - and by now, everyone should know not even the NHL's toughest player can have his damaged on the battlefield and emerge a winner." [THN]
• Providing needles for the Henrik Sedin(notes) balloon: "Henrik Sedin is still a fine hockey player, and could easily notch 80 points again next year, but another Art Ross Trophy is completely out of the question." [DailyFaceoff.com]
• Vance with a good bit, in which he breaks down how the Sabres netminders fared in the 18 back to backs last year and what we can expect from their league- high 22 back to back nights this season. [Double Edges Sabres]
• Meet the man behind Penn State's bid for NCAA Div. I hockey. [CHN]
• Please to be welcoming Fantasy Hockey Scouts to the SB Nation family. [FHS]
• Mike Modano(notes) says Detroit Red Wings camp is "a lot of skating and a lot of movement that I haven't been used to in a ling time." So is that an indication of how he was treated in Dallas or the way Dallas ran their camp? [Windsor Star]
• Jordan Messier, second cousin to Mark, drops the gloves. [Hockey Fights]
• This is the logo for the Connecticut Whale, which will become the official new name for Wade Redden and the Hartford Wolf Pack during the season. Said Howard Baldwin: "We have created a fun logo that not only captures the family-oriented approach of the Whale, but also represents the competitive nature of Coach Gernander's Whale team." Pass or fail? Or, are you like us and you can't stop giggling at the fact that the Whale is so intense that he's squirting from his blowhole?
• Some guy on the Internet grades the 2010-11 Dallas Stars before the season begins. [Pegasus News]
• Finally, the poor referee at the Ottawa Senators/Toronto Maple Leafs game was serenaded by two fans sitting so far away from the ice that there was a better chance the International Space Station heard them.