Zack Snyder defends 'Release the Snyder Cut' campaigners against 'toxic fandom' claims

Tom Beasley
·Contributor
·3 min read

Watch: Trailer for the Snyder Cut

Zack Snyder has defended his supporters against those who claim they represent “toxic fandom”.

The 54-year-old director is due to release his preferred cut of the 2017 blockbuster Justice League on HBO Max next month after a sustained online campaign to “Release the Snyder Cut”.

In May 2020, it was officially announced that the project would be completed, with Snyder subsequently handed in the region of $70m (£51m) for reshoots and post-production.

Read more: Zack Snyder promises “giant amount” of Justice League

During the course of the campaign, supporters raised more than $200,000 (£146,000) for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention — in memory of Snyder’s daughter — but there were also allegations of online harassment and cyber-bullying.

Snyder has now told CinemaBlend that he wanted to call out “the architects of that narrative” that his fans were “toxic”.

Zack Snyder attends the 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' European premiere on March 22, 2016. (Photo by Tolga Akmen/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)
Zack Snyder attends the 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' European premiere on March 22, 2016. (Photo by Tolga Akmen/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)

He added: “I would love the opportunity to just say to the world, and to fandom in general, who these fakers are and what should be done to them, or with them. It’s just a bunch of BS.

“In regards to that toxic fandom, or it’s ‘a win for toxic fandom,’ again, in what world does this ‘toxic fandom’ raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for suicide prevention? How is that toxic fandom?

“They’ve probably achieved more than any other fan base, [and done more] good than any other group. So I don’t understand.”

Read more: Snyder talks of pressure to get his Justice League right

Snyder has expressed his dislike for the version of Justice League which was ultimately released into cinemas, with Joss Whedon stepping in to shepherd the project over the line.

The movie was a critical and commercial flop, causing Warner Bros to re-evaluate its plans for a wide cinematic universe to rival Marvel. In recent years, the studio has pursued more stand-alone projects.

The Justice League line up in Zack Snyder's HBO Max cut. (Credit: Warner Bros/HBO Max)
The Justice League line up in Zack Snyder's HBO Max cut. (Credit: Warner Bros/HBO Max)

Snyder’s version of Justice League is expected to run to around four hours and will debut as an epic feature rather than the previously mooted four-part miniseries.

This week, it was confirmed that the movie will receive an R-rating, with Snyder revealing there is considerable violence — as well as a Batman F-bomb.

Read more: First look at Jared Leto as Joker in Snyder Cut

Snyder has said the release of his Justice League cut will likely mark the end of his association with DC on the big screen, but he has suggested he may follow up his story in the form of a comic book.

Zack Snyder’s Justice League will debut on HBO Max from 18 March, with international release details still to be announced.

Watch: Snyder says he’s done with DC movies