Advertisement

Wimbledon prize money jumps to record £50m in bumper 11.9 per cent rise

Wimbledon prize money jumps to record £50m in bumper 11.9 per cent rise

Wimbledon will pay out a record £50million in prize money at this summer’s Championships.

The 11.9 per cent rise on last year’s payments to players of £44.7m equates to the winners of both the men’s and ladies’ singles competitions pocketing £2.7m each. The runners-up will walk away with £1.4m each.

Those simply making the main draw of the two singles tournaments will earn £60,000 each.

Winners of the men’s and ladies’ doubles will earn £650,000, while a prize pot of £1m has been made available for the wheelchair and quad wheelchair competitions.

Title defences: Carlos Alcaraz and Marketa Vondrousova are the reigning Wimbledon singles champions (Getty Images)
Title defences: Carlos Alcaraz and Marketa Vondrousova are the reigning Wimbledon singles champions (Getty Images)

Announcing the increased prize money, Debbie Jevans, chair of the All England Club, said: “With this year’s championships only days away, I am delighted to announce a record prize money fund of £50m, with increases for players in every round and across every event.

“I am particularly pleased that we have been able to increase prize money for the wheelchair quad and wheelchair competitions to £1m for the first time.

“Interest in attending Wimbledon has never been greater, with unprecedented demand for tickets through our public ballot and corporate hospitality.

“A thriving, successful championships gives us the opportunity to give back: to the sport, to our local community and to strategically invest for the future.”

Wimbledon are still pushing ahead with their ambitious revamp of the Wimbledon Park Golf Course, with 39 new courts, including an 8,000-seater show court.

But the All England Club admitted at their pre-tournament press conference on Thursday that they were still waiting on an update as to when that application will be heard by the Mayor of London’s office. That is expected to be well beyond this year’s Championships.

Regarding that application, Wimbledon said: “Following the decision by the Mayor of London’s office to call in our planning application in January, the Mayor’s planning officers have been making their own detailed assessment of our plans.

“We look forward to a public hearing on our application shortly and we will continue to work with all relevant parties to deliver one of the greatest sporting transformations since the 2012 Olympic Games.”