What's buzzing:

Vitor Belfort Returns to the Head of the Line, Says UFC Middleweight Title Shot is Next

MMAWeekly.com
Vitor Belfort Returns to the Head of the Line, Says UFC Middleweight Title Shot is Next
.

View photo

Vitor Belfort [L] has always been lethal with his striking. (Getty)

Before the fall of therapeutic use exemptions (TUE) for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), Vitor Belfort was the next in line for a shot at UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman.

Now that TRT has all come crumbling down and the smoke is starting to clear, Belfort is still next in line for a title shot.

Lyoto Machida is first, but Belfort will get the winner of the UFC 175 bout between Weidman and Machida, according to a UFC Tonight report on Wednesday.

Belfort’s wife and manager Joana Prado told the program that Belfort has set his sights on the winner of the July 5 title bout and that the UFC has indicated that is the fight that is next for “The Phenom.”

Belfort had been expected to fight Weidman at UFC 173 on May 24, but when the Nevada State Athletic Commission shocked everyone and voted to ban TUEs for TRT in February, the fight fell apart. Belfort had been utilizing the therapy and needed time to adjust to the regulatory change.

Weidman was then lined up with Machida. After the date of that fight was pushed back to July 5, Belfort had managed to get his training without TRT under control, and started planning his return to the Octagon.

He was originally going to try and step in for Wanderlei Silva against Chael Sonnen on July 5, but the shell game went haywire after Sonnen tested positive for prohibited substances in a random drug test and subsequently retired.

So now, Belfort is returns to the front of the line, waiting for Weidman and Machida to play out.

(Photo courtesy of UFC)

Follow MMAWeekly.com on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

View Comments (103)
  • Los Angeles poised to vote on 2024 Olympic plan

    A month after Boston's bid for the 2024 Olympic Games collapsed, Los Angeles appears on the verge of stepping in as the replacement U.S. candidate. The City Council is scheduled to vote Tuesday on a proposal to authorize Mayor Eric Garcetti to … More »

    AP - Sports - 9 minutes ago
  • Keuchel matches home win milestone in Astros victory

    Keuchel matches home win milestone in Astros victory

    (The Sports Xchange) - Houston left-hander Dallas Keuchel matched the club record for consecutive home wins and received ample run support as the Astros beat the Seattle Mariners 8-3 at Minute Maid Park on Monday. Keuchel (16-6) leads the American … More »

    Reuters - 9 minutes ago
  • India's Sharma, three Sri Lankans charged for misconduct

    India's Sharma, three Sri Lankans charged for misconduct

    India paceman Ishant Sharma and three Sri Lankan players have been charged for misconduct during the ongoing third test between the neighbours, the International Cricket Council (ICC) said on Tuesday. Sharma, who was fined 65 percent of his match … More »

    Reuters - 9 minutes ago
  • Mark Canha hits 3-run HR as Athletics beat Angels 11-5

    Mark Canha hits 3-run HR as Athletics beat Angels 11-5

    Mark Canha hit a three-run homer, Jake Smolinski's three-run double highlighted a decisive third inning and the Oakland Athletics beat the Los Angeles Angels 11-5 on Monday in another quirky night at the Coliseum when part of the outfield wall fell … More »

    AP - Sports - 11 minutes ago
  • Man City defender Jason Denayer joins Galatasaray on loan

    (Reuters) - Manchester City centre back Jason Denayer has joined Turkish club Galatasaray on a season-long loan, according to a statement on the Premier League club's website. The 20-year-old Belgian international spent last season on loan at … More »

    Reuters - 12 minutes ago