What's Buzzing:

Tyrone Woodley Says Carlos Condit's Injury Shouldn't Detract from Him Earning a Title Shot

MMA Weekly
Robbie Lawler vs. Tyron Woodley Headline UFC 201 on July 30
.

View photo

Robbie Lawler vs. Tyron Woodley Headline UFC 201 on July 30

UFC president Dana White had no news to announce about who is first up for new welterweight champion Johny Hendricks at the UFC 171 post-fight press conference following Saturday night’s fights in Dallas.

There were two candidates on the card whose names are in the mix – Tyron Woodley and Hector Lombard – as well as Rory MacDonald, who hasn’t been shy about proclaiming his qualifications for a shot.

Woodley and Carlos Condit fought in the UFC 171 co-main event, leading most people to believe it would be a number one contender’s bout, but White wouldn’t declare it so. Woodley’s victory over Condit wasn’t without criticism either.

By all accounts, Woodley put on a strong performance, but the lion’s share of criticism has come from those that believe it didn’t qualify as a quality win because Condit suffered an injury during the fight. (Watch the Condit vs. Woodley highlight video here.)

The injury occurred when Woodley shot on Condit and planted him on his back. At some point during the takedown, Condit’s right knee was injured. In a follow-up exchange, Woodley landed a hard kick to Condit’s left leg that spun him around and sent him crumbling to the mat, clutching his right knee, causing the referee to stop the fight.

Woodley, however, fails to see how the injury detracts from his performance.

“I think it takes nothing away. I think if you break somebody’s arm in an armbar, if you choke ’em out and they don’t tap… it wasn’t like he came in with a pre-existing injury. It came from a double-leg takedown. I saw that he was hurt and I went for the finish,” he said at the post-fight press conference.

“I think I was dominating the fight and that’s a tough guy to dominate in general.”

Whether or not it was a strong enough performance to earn a spot opposite Hendricks the next time he sets foot in the Octagon has yet to be determined.

Again, Woodley believes it should, but of course he could be a little biased since his passion is to capture the gold that is now in Hendricks’ possession.

“I asked for [the Condit] fight because I didn’t think I was gonna lose it,” said Woodley. “You guys fail to realize that I’m in this to be a world champion. I went after the top guy when everybody was so quiet, and I blew (Dana White’s) phone up until he probably couldn’t take it anymore because I want to be the world champion.

“I think that alone, that persistence, warrants me a world title shot.”

Not only does he feel he earned a title shot, Woodley added that there is a little spice to be added to the mix if you take a peek back in time.

“Me and Johny Hendricks got some old unfinished business from the Big 12 days of wrestling. I would love to get my hands on him. It’s a crazy fight.”

Follow MMAWeekly.com on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

View Comments (3)
  • The Latest: IAAF rebuffs Russia's bid to overturn track ban

    The Latest: IAAF rebuffs Russia's bid to overturn track ban

    The IAAF has rebuffed Russia's latest bid to overturn the ban on most of its track and field team competing at the Olympics. The Court of Arbitration for Sport last week rejected the appeal by Russian track and field athletes against the ban … More »

    AP - Sports - 10 minutes ago
  • Shilton no longer views Hart as England's No 1

    Shilton no longer views Hart as England's No 1

    By Tony Jimenez COVENTRY, England (Reuters) - Joe Hart's below-par performances at Euro 2016 mean he should no longer be considered an automatic choice as England's number one goalkeeper, according to former international great Peter Shilton. … More »

    Reuters - 18 minutes ago
  • Sri Lanka lose Perera after Australia grab handy lead

    Australia grabbed a handy 86-run lead in the first innings over Sri Lanka and dealt an early blow with the new ball before rain washed out the entire final session for the second consecutive day in the first test at Pallekele on Wednesday. The … More »

    Reuters - 23 minutes ago
  • TV punditry appeals more to ex-players than coaching - FA chief

    TV punditry appeals more to ex-players than coaching - FA chief

    Lucrative broadcasting jobs is one of the reasons the Football Association (FA) is struggling to attract former England players into coaching, chief executive Martin Glenn has said. England appointed a homegrown manager in Sam Allardyce last week, … More »

    Reuters - 25 minutes ago
  • Barcelona capture Portugal's Gomes from Valencia

    Barcelona capture Portugal's Gomes from Valencia

    Barcelona have completed the signing of Portugal midfielder Andre Gomes from Valencia on a five-year contract, the Spanish champions said on Wednesday. Neither club released any financial details but Marca reported that Gomes cost 50 million euros … More »

    Reuters - 27 minutes ago