The legal process regarding Michigan wide receiver Grant Perry’s sexual-conduct charges is not complete. Yet he’s back practicing with the Wolverines.
Perry, who was indefinitely suspended from the team in December, is facing two fourth-degree misdemeanor charges of sexual conduct and a felony charge of assault after an incident at a bar in October. His trial was set to take place in May but moved to mid-July.
Friday, Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh said (via the Detroit Free-Press) Perry was “back working out with the team.” That’s a stark contrast from the second graph of the statement Michigan released at the time of Perry’s indefinite suspension in December.
“The University was made aware of the arrest of student-athlete Grant Perry earlier this fall,” the statement said in December. “He was immediately suspended from all team activities at that time and missed two games. Based on the information at that time, Grant was allowed to resume team activities pending the outcome of the investigation.
“Upon being informed that charges would be filed, he was immediately and indefinitely suspended from all team activities until the legal process is completed.”
Given the trial is still scheduled to happen, the legal process doesn’t seem to be complete.
Perry is accused of touching a woman waiting in line to get into a bar during Michigan’s bye week and then allegedly injuring an officer as he attempted to avoid being arrested. He was charged in the case Dec. 22 and the felony charge relates to Perry’s alleged attempt to flee arrest.
Perhaps Perry’s early return to the team is because he’s Michigan’s leading returning receiver. Wide receivers Amara Darboh and Jehu Chesson and tight end Jake Butt are all off to the NFL. Perry had 13 catches in nine games in 2016. He missed two of the contests vs. Illinois, Michigan State and Maryland because of his first suspension and the bowl game vs. Florida State because of the second suspension.
– – – – – – –