What's Buzzing:

Toure could leave Man City over birthday snub, says agent

Reuters
Manchester City's Toure celebrates scoring a goal against Crystal Palace during their English Premier League soccer match at Selhurst Park in London
.

View photo

Manchester City's Yaya Toure (C) celebrates scoring a goal against Crystal Palace during their English …

LONDON (Reuters) - Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure is upset with Manchester City after an apparent birthday snub and could leave the Premier League champions, his agent said on Tuesday.

According to Dimitri Seluk, who represents the Ivory Coast international, Toure was dismayed that, despite the club giving him a 31st birthday cake, the owners did not personally congratulate him at a post-season party in Abu Dhabi.

Former Barcelona powerhouse Toure, whose goals were instrumental in City's second title in three seasons, could even seek a move, Seluk said.

"He got a cake but when it was Roberto Carlos's birthday, the president of (Russian side) Anzhi (Makhachkala) gave him a Bugatti," Seluk told BBC Sport.

"I don't expect City to present Yaya with a Bugatti, we only asked that they shook his hand and said 'we congratulate you'. It is the minimum they must do when it is his birthday and the squad is all together.

"Of course Yaya is upset about this. It is his birthday and nobody said anything or shook his hand, so he does not feel comfortable," added Seluk, who said City sent a Twitter message wishing Toure a happy birthday.

"The most important thing is a human relationship and maybe this is his opportunity for Yaya to find that. If City don't respect him, then easy - Yaya will leave. No problem."

Toure, who joined City in 2010 as part of the owner Sheikh Mansour's vast outlay on world-class players, moved to reassure Man City fans via his Twitter page on Tuesday.

"Thanks for all the birthday messages today. Card from City just arrived... Must have got lost in the post. Haha" he Tweeted.

"Jokes aside. Please do not take words that do not come out of MY mouth seriously. Judge my commitment to @MCFC by my performances."

However, Toure later tweeted: "Everything Dimitry said is true. He speaks for me. I will give an interview after (the) World Cup to explain."

BARCA FINISH

He was also quoted in an interview with North American network beIN SPORTS in which he repeated his desire to finish his career at Barcelona, who sold him to City in 2010.

“I have said that in front of the camera before and I have said that to newspapers about ending my career there (Barcelona), but we don’t know because football is moving fast and you never know about tomorrow," Toure told beIN SPORTS.

“Because of the brilliant season Man City have had, everybody is talking about me and everything is open and we don’t know tomorrow, but my focus is on the World Cup and at the end of the World Cup we will see what happens.

“I think my agent, Dimitri, is always on the phone and he knows what he has to do because I trust him a lot. He knows what he has to do because we were always open about everything.”

Toure signed a new four-year contract last year and Seluk denied that he was looking for a better deal with the club.

"No. Money is not important. He has enough money," he said.

"It is more important he plays for a club that respects him more than having a few thousand pounds added to his salary.

"I have spoken to him about leaving and we will see what happens but, at the moment, Yaya is really upset."

(Reporting by Martyn Herman, editing by Julien Pretot)

View Comments (10)
  • In-law of Mexico striker Pulido nabbed for alleged role in his kidnapping

    In-law of Mexico striker Pulido nabbed for alleged role in his kidnapping

    The cousin-in-law of Alan Pulido has been detained for his role in allegedly masterminding the kidnapping of the Mexican soccer player, authorities in northern Mexico said on Tuesday. Pulido, a Mexico national team striker, was kidnapped after … More »

    Reuters - 2 hours 3 minutes ago
  • Ronaldo leads Portugal squad for Euro 2016

    Ronaldo leads Portugal squad for Euro 2016

    REUTERS - Any sliver of a doubt over whether Cristiano Ronaldo would lead Portugal into the Euro 2016 was erased on Tuesday when he was named in their 23-man squad for the finals. The 31-year-old forward, who scored the decisive penalty as Real … More »

    Reuters - 2 hours 42 minutes ago
  • Hungary set to pack a punch in France

    Hungary set to pack a punch in France

    (Reuters) - Hungary will have no shortage of firepower for their first major tournament finals since the 1986 World Cup after coach Bernd Storck loaded his 23-man squad with six attacking players in lineup for the European Championship in France. … More »

    Reuters - 4 hours ago
  • Portugal squad for European Championship

    Portugal squad for European Championship

    (Reuters) - Portugal coach Fernando Santos has confirmed the following squad for the Euro 2016 finals in France: Goalkeepers: Anthony Lopes (Olympique Lyon), Eduardo (Dínamo Zagreb), Rui Patricio (Sporting) Defenders: Bruno Alves (Fenerbahçe), … More »

    Reuters - 5 hours ago
  • Albania leave out quartet for Euros

    Albania leave out quartet for Euros

    (Reuters) - Albania have left defenders Berat Gjimshiti and Amir Rrahmani, midfielder Herolind Shala and forward Milot Rashica out of their Euro 2016 squad. Albania coach Giovanni De Biasi finalised his 23-man list a couple of hours before Tuesday's … More »

    Reuters - 5 hours ago