A school in New York City is closed after a toddler with a dairy allergy died after reportedly being fed a grilled cheese sandwich.
Elijah Silvera, 3, was sitting in his pre-K class at Seventh Avenue Center for Family Services in Harlem when he went into anaphylactic shock after reportedly eating the sandwich.
He was rushed to the emergency room shortly after where he was pronounced deceased.
RELATED: Allergy-safe lunchbox ideas
"He was given a grilled cheese sandwich by an adult at the pre-K, despite them knowing and having documented that he has a severe allergy to dairy," a family member wrote on a GoFundMe page created to cover Silvera's funeral costs. "Elijah went into anaphylactic shock and was taken to the Pediatric ER at Harlem Hospital, where, tragically, they were unable to save him."
Another family member spoke to CBS New York, saying the toddler had a personality hard to let go of.
“He was just a light — if you see him, he’s just a bright light,” Ruben Porras said. “He’s one of those kids that… he was one of those kids that when you walk in the room and saw him you just light up.”
The city health department said on Wednesday it was “closing the Center for Family Services and continuing to aggressively investigate what happened and whether the facility could have done something differently to prevent this tragedy.”
Health officials told the outlet the school failed to adhere to a written safety plan and failed to adequately supervise the child.
On Silvera's GoFundMe page, his family said they are "immersed" in grief.
"Our family is only beginning the long and painful process of adjusting to a world that does not include Elijah in it. As we ease into this unthinkable reality and say goodbye to our sweet, joyful Elijah — and our hopes and dreams for all he would become — we thank you for your support," the page read.
This article was initially published on AOL.com: Toddler, 3, with dairy allergy dies after school feeds him grilled cheese sandwich