Stella McCartney under fire over Meghan Markle Instagram: 'Pretty shocked'

AOL.com Editors

Stella McCartney is feeling the heat from royal fans after she posted, and later deleted, an Instagram of Meghan Markle wearing one of her designs to Remembrance Day services at the Cenotaph in London this past Sunday. 

The designer took to the social media site to commend the duchess' choice in coat following her appearance.

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

“So honoured to have HRH Duchess of Sussex in our Autumn ’19 coat at Remembrance Day service. x Stella,” the noteworthy British designer had written alongside a photo of the royal.

Comments soon flooded the post, and while some complimented the look, others quickly deemed the post inappropriate given the holiday, which commemorates fallen British soldiers and military families with two moments of silence and days of royal-supported events. 

“Remembrance day is to honour those that fought for us not to use for advertising purposes. Pretty shocked," wrote one critic. Others called the plug "extremely tacky" and "wrong" given the purpose of the day's events. 

McCartney, who dressed Markle in her second wedding dress, has since deleted the Instagram and has yet to respond to the backlash. She did, however, follow the post with a video of a red poppy field, which has been the symbol of remembrance for the British since 1921. 


"Remembering the ones that sacrificed to give us freedom x Stella⁣," she captioned the photo.

Sunday's ceremony was the second time that Meghan Markle and Prince Harry had joined Prince William and Duchess Kate for the Remembrance Day events. On Saturday, both couples stepped out to attend the Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance at Royal Albert Hall alongside other members of the royal family.

The royal outing marked the first time the two couples had been spotted together publicly since the King Power Royal Charity Polo Day back in July and their first public reunion since Harry admitted in a rare interview there have been existing "tensions" with his older brother. 

"We’re certainly on different paths at the moment but I will always be there for him and as I know he’ll always be there for me," the Duke of Sussex explained in the ITV documentary Harry & Meghan: An African Journey, which aired last month. "We don’t see each other as much as we used to because we’re so busy but I love him dearly. The majority of the stuff is created out of nothing but as brothers it’s just as I said, you have good days, you have bad days."

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will be embarking on a six-week break from royal duties in mid-November and will travel to the United States to spend baby Archie's first Thanksgiving with Meghan's family in Los Angeles. They are expected to return across the pond to spend Christmas with Queen Elizabeth and the rest of the royal family at Her Majesty's Sandringham Estate, as per tradition. 

Their break comes after months of increased media scrutiny on the couple and controversial tabloid coverage of Meghan. "Any woman, especially when they're pregnant, you're really vulnerable. So, that was made really challenging," she said. "And, then when you have a newborn, and especially as a woman, it's a lot. So, you add this on top of just trying to be a new mom or trying to be a newlywed," the duchess revealed in the documentary.  

What to Read Next

Back