Navy will wear special uniforms when it faces rival Army in two weeks.
The new combination, designed with Under Armour, is a tribute to the Blue Angels. The combination includes hand-painted helmets “depicting a Delta Formation, and a chrome facemask to mimic the visor of the Blue Angel pilots” and elements that “pay tribute to the skill, precision, and rich history of the Blue Angels squadron.”
“Although the uniform departs from our customary characteristics, this tribute to the Blue Angels reflects the enthusiastic pride and appreciation we have for the Navy’s premier flying team and the motivation they convey to Navy football and the fleet at large,” said Naval Academy Director of Athletics Chet Gladchuk.
“The masterminds at Under Armour are always thinking of ways to inspire our troops while still reflecting a deep appreciation for a Naval history that is so ingrained in our game day traditions. Annually, a special Navy uniform has become a statement in this game and brings with it appreciated meaning and a clear message that we are all in.”
[Cyber Monday: Subscribe for 1 year, get $99 in team gear from Rivals Fan Shop]
Per a press release from Navy, additional uniform details include:
• U.S. flag on left sleeve matches the flight suits that the squadron wear in the cockpit.
• The number font is inspired by the numbers on the tail of the F/A-18 Hornet aircraft.
• Blue Angel insignia on the right sleeve; this is the same design on the F/A-18 Hornet aircraft.
• The color of the uniforms are an exact match to the Blue Angels flight suit.
• Stripe dimensions on the pants are an exact match to the flight suit.
This combination is right up there with some of the awesome uniforms we’ve seen for this game in the past, on both the Army and Navy sides.
— Navy Football (@NavyFB) November 30, 2015
— ArmyWestPoint Sports (@GoArmyWestPoint) December 5, 2016
The Midshipmen (6-5) take on the Black Knights (8-3) at 3 p.m. on Dec. 9 in Philadelphia. Army snapped a 14-year losing streak in the series with a 21-17 win last year.
– – – – – – –
More from Yahoo Sports:
• Vietnam vet gives gift to protesting Seahawks star
• NHL team in hot water over ‘insensitive’ naked video
• NFL Winners and Losers: Time to bench AlexSmith
• Dan Wetzel: The irresponsible attack on Greg Schiano by angry fans