Puyallup police officers hit by gunfire during standoff with man in apartment building

UPDATE 8:15 p.m.: The suspect has surrendered, Puyallup police tweeted. The shelter in place order has been lifted and residents can return home. East Main Avenue is now open.

UPDATE 5:40 p.m.: Two Puyallup police officers have been shot, according to the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department.

UPDATE 4:35 p.m.: Puyallup police are still advising residents to shelter in place.

Here’s the latest on 2 Puyallup police officers wounded in a standoff with DV suspect

Two Puyallup Police Department officers were shot and injured Tuesday afternoon while responding to a domestic violence investigation at an apartment building. The police response led to a standoff with a man who barricaded himself inside.

Puyallup police were called to the River Trail Apartments at 1617 E. Main Ave. for the incident at about 1:17 p.m., and police said gunfire broke out a little more than an hour later. Sheriff’s Department spokesperson Sgt. Darren Moss said the man would not cooperate with law enforcement and an exchange of gunfire occurred.

A second round of gunfire occurred about 20 minutes later, Moss said. As of 5:40 p.m., no further shots have been fire.

The man surrendered, Puyallup police tweeted at 8:15 p.m. He was placed into custody and transported to a local hospital.

Earlier in the siege, police advised residents of River Trail Apartments and Addison Greens Apartments at 1715 E. Main Ave. to shelter in place and not leave their buildings. Others were told to avoid the area.

The police officers who were struck were able to walk to an ambulance, Moss said. Their injuries were reportedly minor. At least one of the officers was taken to a local hospital for treatment.

“I heard him on the air afterward saying that he could just walk himself up because they were trying to get an ambulance to him,” Moss said. “He was like ‘No I’ll just walk over there,’ so that’s a good sign.”

It’s unclear what the nature of the domestic violence incident was. Moss said no one else was in the apartment with the man, and the woman who called 911 was outside when police arrived. The Pierce County Sheriff’s Department responded to assist.

Police closed East Main Avenue was from 15th to 23rd streets southeast. The street was reopened just after 8 p.m.