Shane Richie grateful for 'I'm A Celeb' as pandemic has left him 'skint'

Danny Thompson
·Contributor
·2 min read

Watch: Who are the stars heading to Wales for I’m A Celebrity?

I’m A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here star Shane Richie has admitted he’s grateful for the opportunity to be a campmate in the upcoming series of the show as the coronavirus pandemic has left him “literally skint”.

The former EastEnders actor has spoken of the positives of joining the popular ITV contest, which is taking place in a Welsh castle this year due to travel restrictions.

The 56-year-old says his finances have been so badly impacted in recent months he’s had to borrow money from friends, family and the bank.

Speaking about agreeing to take part in the show, Richie said: “We were going to fit it around my other work projects as I was going on tour, doing a TV series and panto but that all got cancelled in March.

“And now I am literally skint! You save money for a rainy day but you don't expect the rainy day to last six months.

LONDON, ENGLAND - APRIL 07:  Shane Richie attends The Olivier Awards with Mastercard at the Royal Albert Hall on April 07, 2019 in London, England. (Photo by Jeff Spicer/Jeff Spicer/Getty Images)
Shane Richie attends The Olivier Awards with Mastercard at the Royal Albert Hall on April 07, 2019 in London, England. (Photo by Jeff Spicer/Jeff Spicer/Getty Images)

“Thankfully I've been able to borrow money from mates, my family and the bank and my wife is now very happy we can finally pay off the credit card!”

Read more: I'm A Celebrity 2020 line-up: All the confirmed stars taking part

However, it wasn’t his money issues that initially made him agree to take part as he had been in talks to take part since the beginning of the year before lockdown started.

LONDON, ENGLAND - NOVEMBER 15:  Shane Richie attends British Airways champagne reception to celebrate the airline raising £20 million for Comic Relief, through it's charity Flying Start, at the Science Museum on November 15, 2018 in London, England. (Photo by Eamonn M. McCormack/Getty Images for British Airways)
Shane Richie at the British Airways champagne reception to celebrate the airline raising £20 million for Comic Relief. November 2018 in London. (Photo by Eamonn M. McCormack/Getty Images for British Airways)

He said: “What an honour to be asked before lockdown. I am so grateful and I am really looking forward to being around adults again instead of my wife and three children!

“We got the call in January and I agreed to do it because it was the 20th one.

Read more: Ant and Dec thought I’m A Celeb’s title was awful at first

“My kids were old enough to travel to Australia and they wanted to meet Ant and Dec! We were all really excited.”

Stars such as athlete Sir Mo Farah, former Strictly dancer AJ Pritchard, actors Beverley Callard and Jessica Plummer and TV presenters Vernon Kay and Victoria Derbyshire will all be campmates alongside Richie.

I’m A Celeb... is set to start 15 November on ITV.

Watch: Craig Revel Horwood talks COVID and Strictly