It hasn’t been a good few years to be a San Francisco 49er fan. But for a night, at least, the franchise had not just hope, but — dare we say it — a touch of swagger, too.
The 49ers held the No. 2 pick, but swapped it to Chicago for the No. 3 pick, plus the third- and fourth-round picks this year, plus a third-round pick next year. The Bears used that pick to select North Carolina quarterback Mitchell Trubisky, and the 49ers used the next pick to grab Stanford’s Solomon Thomas. And hey, look what image the 49ers used to broadcast the move on Twitter:
Following a trade with the Bears, the #49ers selected Stanford DL Solomon Thomas with the 3rd overall pick.
— San Francisco 49ers (@49ers) April 28, 2017
That’s pretty sweet, a scene from the Sun Bowl in which Jones swallowed up Trubisky. The two get a rematch on Dec. 3; we’ll see whether either, or both, is in the starting lineup come then.
Jay Busbee is a writer for Yahoo Sports and the author of EARNHARDT NATION, on sale now at Amazon or wherever books are sold. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or find him on Twitter or on Facebook.
More NFL draft coverage from Yahoo Sports:
• Dan Wetzel: How Roger Goodell saved the NFL draft
• Browns take Garrett first overall, and he might be the savior they need
• Bears pull off NFL draft’s first stunner, trade up for Trubisky
• Jaguars put Bortles on watch with their first-round pick
• How NFL prospects Butt and Lamp used names to cash in