What's buzzing:

Work resumes in part of Brazil World Cup stadium

The Associated Press

SAO PAULO (AP) -- Construction can resume in part of the stadium where a worker died while installing temporary seats for the World Cup opener, Brazilian labor officials said Monday.

Work had been partially stopped at the Itaquerao stadium because of safety concerns following the man's death on March 29.

Officials from the Labor Ministry inspected the venue on Monday and said most of the necessary safety measures had been implemented where the seats were being installed. Not all work at the stadium could resume, however, because construction crews had yet to install protective nets in another part of the site.

Brazilian World Cup organizers and FIFA said the delay should not keep the stadium from being finished in time for the Brazil-Croatia opener on June 12.

Work at the Itaquerao stadium had already been delayed before the worker's death, which was the third at the stadium and seventh overall in World Cup venues in Brazil. Two workers died at the stadium in late November when a crane hoisting a giant roofing structure collapsed.

FIFA expects the venue to be fully ready in mid-May, about a month before the inaugural match of the tournament.

About 20,000 temporary seats are being installed behind the goals to increase the stadium's capacity to nearly 70,000. Officials have allowed construction to resume on the south side, where the worker died, but said more had to be done to improve the safety conditions on the north end.

Authorities said work should be able to resume there by Friday, following a new inspection scheduled in the next few days.

An initial investigation showed that 23-year-old Fabio Hamilton da Cruz fell from about 26 feet (8 meters) after failing to connect to a safety cable. Officials halted construction because they said additional safety measures could have prevented his death even though he wasn't connected to a cable.

Fast Engenharia, the company in charge of building the temporary seats, has denied any wrongdoing.

Two other stadiums still remain under construction in other parts of the country - one in the wetlands city of Cuiaba and another in the southern Brazilian city of Curitiba.

---

Tales Azzoni on Twitter: https://twitter.com/tazzoni

View Comments (0)
  • Barcelona signs striker Paco Alcacer as backup for Suarez

    Barcelona strengthened its already top-class attack by signing Spain striker Paco Alcacer from rival Spanish club Valencia on Tuesday in a deal worth at least 30 million euros ($33.5 million). Alcacer, who turned 23 on Tuesday, joins a Barcelona … More »

    AP - Sports - 4 minutes 26 seconds ago
  • Aguero charged with violent conduct by English FA

    Aguero charged with violent conduct by English FA

    Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero could miss the derby match against Manchester United in the Premier League on Sept. 10 after being charged with violent conduct on Tuesday for elbowing an opponent during a game. The English Football … More »

    AP - Sports - 11 minutes ago
  • Kodjia joins Villa in deal that may set second tier record

    Kodjia joins Villa in deal that may set second tier record

    Aston Villa have bought striker Jonathan Kodjia from second tier rivals Bristol City for 11 million pounds in a deal that could rise to 15 million, a record for a Championship club. The signing of the Ivory Coast international surpasses Villa's … More »

    Reuters - 13 minutes ago
  • Sassuolo win over Pescara turned into 3-0 defeat

    (Reuters) - Serie A's disciplinary committee has turned Sassuolo's 2-1 win over Pescara on Sunday into a 3-0 defeat because of irregularities in the registration of midfielder Antonino Ragusa. The committee said in a statement that Sassuolo failed … More »

    Reuters - 32 minutes ago
  • England 'keeper Joe Hart arrives in Torino to warm welcome

    England 'keeper Joe Hart arrives in Torino to warm welcome

    England goalkeeper Joe Hart is on the verge of completing a loan move to Torino from Manchester City. Hart, who was given permission to leave the England camp to fly to Italy, underwent a medical at the Serie A club on Tuesday. The 29-year-old was … More »

    AP - Sports - 44 minutes ago