Prince of Monaco criticises Harry and Meghan's bombshell interview - 'It did bother me'

Rebecca Taylor
·Royal Correspondent
·4 min read

 Watch: Prince Albert thinks Duke and Duchess of Sussex's tell-all interview was inappropriate

Prince Albert of Monaco has criticised Prince Harry and Meghan Markle for their explosive interview with Oprah Winfrey, saying it was not the appropriate forum for their grievances.

The royal, who has worked with Prince Charles in the past, said he understood the pressures but thought the issues should have been raised privately.

Speaking to the BBC, Albert said: "I think it's very difficult to be in someone's place, I can understand the pressures they were under but I think this type of public display of dissatisfaction to say the least, these types of conversations, should be held within the intimate quarters of the family.

"It doesn't really have to be laid out in the public sphere like that.

"So did bother me a little bit. I can understand where they are coming from in a certain way but I think it wasn't the appropriate forum to have these kinds of discussions."

LONDON, ENGLAND - MARCH 10: Prince Albert of Monaco attends the WaterAid water and climate event at Kings Place on March 10, 2020 in London, England.  The Prince of Wales has been President of WaterAid since 1991. (Photo by Tim P. Whitby - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
Prince Albert of Monaco at the WaterAid water and climate event in March 2020. (Tim P. Whitby - WPA Pool/Getty Images)

Read more: 5 questions that still haven't been answered after Harry and Meghan's Oprah interview

Asked what advice he might have for Harry, Albert said: "I wish him the best but it's a difficult world out there, I hope he can have the judgement and wisdom to make the right choices."

Harry and Meghan opened up to Winfrey about the problems they faced during their time as senior royals, claiming Meghan was left without support when she suffered suicidal thoughts, that there was a racist remark made about their future child, and that the family cut them off.

The Royal Family issued a brief statement in response, saying they would deal with the issues raised privately, but were concerned about them. The statement said Harry, Meghan and their son Archie would always be "much-loved" family members.

There has been little from the royals on the matters since then, though William had to defend his family as "very much not racist" a few days after the interview.

Harry and Meghan's friend Gayle King revealed Harry had spoken to his brother and his father but conversations were "not productive".

LONDON, ENGLAND - MARCH 10: Prince Charles, Prince of Wales and Tim Wainwright, WaterAid attend the WaterAid water and climate event at Kings Place on March 10, 2020 in London, England.  The Prince of Wales has been President of WaterAid since 1991. (Photo by Tim P. Whitby - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
Prince Charles next to Tim Wainwright of WaterAid at the event with Prince Albert, not pictured, in London in March 2020. (Tim P. Whitby - WPA Pool/Getty Images)

Serena Williams, a close friend of Meghan's, praised her for "poise" and "class" and said Meghan was the "strongest person" she knows.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex chose to step back from their senior royal roles in January 2020 with the final arrangements of 'Megxit' as it was dubbed in the UK, agreed in March 2020.

In February 2021, they confirmed they would not be returning, cutting short a 12-month review period which had been put in place by the palace.

Prince Harry now works for BetterUp as their chief impact officer, and has secured a role with Aspen Institute as a commissioner on a six month project on misinformation. While the former post is paid, it's not known if the latter is paid or voluntary.

Harry and Meghan are also running a non-profit, called Archewell, and have deals with Netflix and Spotify to make programmes and podcasts.

YOKOHAMA, JAPAN - NOVEMBER 02: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (R) shakes hands with Albert II, Prince of Monaco in the stands during the Rugby World Cup 2019 Final between England and South Africa at International Stadium Yokohama on November 02, 2019 in Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan. (Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)
Prince Harry shaking hands with Albert II, Prince of Monaco in the stands during the Rugby World Cup 2019 in Japan. (Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)

Prince Albert has been the sovereign of Monaco since his father died in 2005, and has worked with Prince Charles, Harry's father, in the past, as the men share interests around conservation work.

They were at the same WaterAid event in London in March 2020, and tested positive for coronavirus at about the same time too, with Prince Albert having to deny passing it on to Charles at the conference.

According to Forbes, Albert is one of the wealthiest royals in the world.

Watch: Everything we know about Prince Harry's first corporate job