What's Buzzing:

Oscar helps erase doubts about Brazil midfield

AP - Sports
Oscar helps erase doubts about Brazil midfield
.

View gallery

TERESOPOLIS, Brazil (AP) -- Everybody knows Neymar is in charge of Brazil's attack at the World Cup. Now it's also clear that Oscar is the man commanding the midfield.

Neymar was voted man of the match in the opener against Croatia, but Oscar also received a lot of the praise for his performance, helping erase lingering doubts about who should be playing in the middle for Brazil.

As the hosts prepare to face Mexico in its second Group A match, most people have stopped questioning whether Oscar should be in the lineup, as they were before Brazil made its World Cup debut.

Oscar silenced his critics by scoring a goal and helping set up another in Thursday's 3-1 win over Croatia in the opener in Sao Paulo.

''Neymar got man of the match, but if there was a second award it should go to Oscar,'' Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari said after the game. ''He was fantastic and that's the kind of player he is. I have always believed in him.''

Oscar said he was never worried about being benched and knew from the beginning that Scolari trusted him.

''I've have always known that Felipao has trust in me, that's not new,'' he said, using Scolari's nickname. ''And I showed on the field that he can keep trusting me. I just have to keep playing as hard as I can to help Brazil get the victories.''

Oscar stole a ball near midfield to set up Neymar's first goal on Thursday, then found the net with a toe poke from outside the area in a breakaway in second-half injury time.

Oscar had not being playing well before the World Cup, however. He struggled especially in the team's final warm-up match before the World Cup, prompting talks about him possibly losing his spot to Chelsea teammate Willian, who had been training well during Brazil's preparations.

''We all know that the national team has good players who can get in at any time,'' Oscar said. ''It's not only Willian who can get in, anybody can get in and play well.''

Scolari has been saying that Oscar is a key piece in Brazil's midfield. He plays in front of defensive midfielders Luiz Gustavo and Paulinho and is the man directly responsible for feeding balls to Neymar, Fred and Hulk in Brazil's attack.

''I can play in any position,'' said Oscar, who recently had to leave Brazil's training camp for the birth of his daughter. ''It doesn't really matter to me where I play, I just want to help Brazil win this title.''

---

Follow Tales Azzoni on Twitter: www.twitter.com/tazzoni

View Comments (0)
  • Kompany confident of Belgium's chances against Wales

    Kompany confident of Belgium's chances against Wales

    Belgium's improving potency in front of goal at the European Championship will fill them full of confidence ahead of their quarter-final clash against Wales in Lille later on Friday, injured defender Vincent Kompany has said. After losing their … More »

    Reuters - 22 minutes ago
  • Payet happy at West Ham, says agent

    Payet happy at West Ham, says agent

    Dimitri Payet is happy at West Ham United and the France midfielder is not expected to leave the Premier League club, his agent Jacques-Olivier Auguste has said. The 29-year-old, who signed a long-term contract in February that will keep him at the … More »

    Reuters - 33 minutes ago
  • Chinese investors close to AC Milan stake buy - China Daily

    Chinese investors close to AC Milan stake buy - China Daily

    Chinese investors are close to agreeing an 80 percent stake buy in soccer club AC Milan and will acquire the remaining 20 percent in the next two to three years, the China Daily newspaper reported on Friday. "Two parties are discussing the 80 … More »

    Reuters - 1 hour 12 minutes ago
  • D.C. United-Real Salt Lake preview

    D.C. United is embarking on a four-game road trip, and playing on enemy soil has been an issue for the MLS team all season. D.C. United visits Real Salt Lake on Friday in Sandy, Utah, to start a stretch in which it doesn't play at home again until … More »

    AP - Sports - 2 hours 23 minutes ago
  • Delight for Portugal fans after another nail-biter goes down to wire

    Delight for Portugal fans after another nail-biter goes down to wire

    They had struggled through the tournament until now – but Portugal is celebrating after the country became the first to qualify for the semi-finals at Euro 2016. Fans in Lisbon relished the moment as their team overcame Poland in a penalty … More »

    euronews Videos - 2 hours 58 minutes ago