Carmelo Anthony and the Knicks have flexed their muscle in the East this season. (Reuters)
Let's hear it for New York.
Los Angeles Lakers fans are still trying figure out how Mike D'Antoni ended up becoming their new head coach over 11-time NBA champion, Hall of Famer and former Lakers coach Phil Jackson. Meanwhile, the New York Knicks are flourishing since parting with D'Antoni – they're the only unbeaten team in the NBA. The Knicks jumped up two places in this week's Yahoo! Sports' NBA Power Rankings to move past the Miami Heat and into first.
Records are through Monday night.
1. New York Knicks (4-0, previous ranking: third): Knicks are off to a perfect start under Mike D'Antoni's replacement, Mike Woodson. Games against San Antonio and Memphis will provide good tests.
2. San Antonio Spurs (6-1, previous ranking: second): Tough stretch starts Tuesday with games against Lakers, New York, Denver, Clippers and Boston. Tim Duncan is averaging nearly 20 points and 10 rebounds.
3. Miami Heat (6-2, previous ranking: first): The defending champs look mortal after losing by 18 points at Memphis on Sunday and squeaking by Houston on Monday.
4. Oklahoma City Thunder (6-2, previous ranking: fifth): The Thunder barely got by the winless Pistons on Monday, but it was their fourth game in five nights.
5. Los Angeles Clippers (5-2, previous ranking: fourth): Sources say Clippers' recent surge played a role in cross-town rival Lakers recently firing Mike Brown.
6. Memphis Grizzlies (5-1, previous ranking: 10th): The Grizzlies have now won five straight games and earned a big home victory against the Heat.