National Bank Open given final approval to go ahead: Tennis Canada

·1 min read

Tennis Canada says it has received approval from the country's top health agency to host the National Bank Open in Toronto, Ont. and Montreal, Que.

The organizing body says the Public Health Agency of Canada has issued a letter of approval for the tournament, formerly known as the Rogers Cup, marking the final authorization needed for the event to go ahead.

The events in Montreal and Toronto will be permitted to host fans, with both venues expected to host roughly 5,000 people.

Ticket sales for the women’s tournament in Montréal are already underway, while ticket sales for the men’s tournament are due to go on sale.

Gavin Ziv, the managing director of the National Bank Open in Toronto, says there are no words to describe how happy officials are with the outcome.

Tennis Canada said last week that Novak Djokovic, Dominic Thiem, David Goffin and Stan Wawrinka have all withdrawn from the tournament, making Russia's Daniil Medvedev the tournament’s top seed.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 26, 2021.

The Canadian Press

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting