What's buzzing:

Nate Diaz Appears Ready for UFC Return; Nick Diaz… Not So Much

MMAWeekly.com
Dana White Laments the Diaz Brothers Sitting Out Their Window of Opportunity
.

View photo

Dana White Laments the Diaz Brothers Sitting Out Their Window of Opportunity

Both fighting Diaz brothers, Nick and Nate, have recently complained about their financial situation as it relates to their UFC contracts, going so far as to say they’d prefer to be released from their current deals to fight elsewhere than fight for the mere peanuts they now make.

After Nate Diaz tweeted a few weeks ago about wanting to be released from his UFC contract, and then opened up to MMAFighting.com about how unhappy he is with the “funny money” he’s being paid, Nick unloaded as well.

“I never considered anything other than to renegotiate my contract or fight Johny Hendricks,” Nick told MMAFighting about what his intentions were when discussing UFC president Dana White’s recent offer of a fight with Hector Lombard. “All I said was, ‘What am I getting paid?’ And he said, ‘Let me check your contract.’ And the last text I got from him was what I would be fighting for.

“I didn’t consider fighting for that kind of money. I didn’t say anything back to him, right, but usually that means something. I’m not considering even for a second fighting any of those guys for less than $500,000. There’s no way.”

Nick Diaz seems to be standing pat on his decision not to fight for anything less than half a million dollars, but Nate appears to have acquiesced.

“I think Joe Silva (talked to Nate), and Nate said he's ready to fight,” said White following Saturday night’s UFC 172 in Baltimore. “I told Joe to call him.”

White didn’t yet have any information on who or when Nate would fight, but had a strong opinion about his brother, whom he believes isn’t coming out of his pseudo-retirement anytime soon.

“No Nick. Nick's got a lot of money, man,” said White. “I think Nick's just gonna kick back until he has to fight.”

Follow MMAWeekly.com on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

View Comments (49)
  • British crew member dies in round the world race

    A British crew member of a yacht taking part in the Clipper Round the World race has died after an accident off the coast of Portugal, his team said in on Saturday. Paramedic Andrew Ashman, 49, was reefing a sail on the IchorCoal entry around … More »

    Reuters - 9 minutes ago
  • Ferrari CEO will not leave post before IPO - Marchionne

    Ferrari CEO will not leave post before IPO - Marchionne

    Ferrari Chief Executive Amedeo Felisa will not leave his post before the luxury sportscar maker's initial public offering (IPO) planned for later this year, the boss of parent company Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) said on Saturday. Felisa, who is … More »

    Reuters - 16 minutes ago
  • Hamilton takes 7th straight pole but Ferrari is close behind

    Hamilton takes 7th straight pole but Ferrari is close behind

    Lewis Hamilton extended his recent stranglehold on pole position in Formula One, while Kimi Raikkonen and Sebastian Vettel gave Ferrari fans something to cheer about at their home Italian Grand Prix by qualifying second and third Saturday. … More »

    AP - Sports - 18 minutes ago
  • Hamilton takes 11th pole in 12 races

    Hamilton takes 11th pole in 12 races

    By Alan Baldwin MONZA, Italy (Reuters) - Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton put Mercedes on pole position for the Italian Grand Prix on Saturday with Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen joining him on the front row. The pole was Hamilton's 11th in 12 … More »

    Reuters - 23 minutes ago
  • Sailing-British crew member dies in round the world race

    A British crew member of a yacht taking part in the Clipper Round the World race has died after an accident off the coast of Portugal, his team said in on Saturday. Paramedic Andrew Ashman, 49, was reefing a sail on the IchorCoal entry around … More »

    Reuters - 28 minutes ago