Mom spreads warning of 'Deodorant Challenge' after daughter is severely burned

A mom is warning others after her daughter was severely burned. (Photos: Jamie Prescott via Facebook and Getty Images)
A mom is warning others after her daughter was severely burned. (Photos: Jamie Prescott via Facebook and Getty Images)

A mom in the U.K. has issued a warning to parents about the dangers of a new playground craze called the “Deodorant Challenge,” which left her daughter with second-degree burns.

Taking to Facebook, Jamie Prescott shared some images of her daughter’s severely burned arms and went on to explain that the Deodorant Challenge, which has been growing in popularity in school playgrounds, was the cause of the injuries.

“For any parents who have children, please, please sit them down and show them these pictures,” she wrote. “These are the damaging results of something known as ‘The Deodorant Challenge’ which is currently doing the rounds in Yate and literally involves spraying deodorant on to someone else for as long as possible.”

Jamie said her daughter’s arms had received severe burns.

“The pictures below are that of my Year 10 daughter’s arm THREE WEEKS ON which may still as yet require a skin graft,” she wrote.

Speaking to local news outlet Somerset Live, the mom revealed that the incident happened on April 18, but that she didn’t notice her daughter’s arm until the following day when it started blistering.

The mom explained that her daughter received the injury after going to a nearby park with some friends.

“Apparently, when they asked her to put out her arm she did it, but she had no idea of the consequences and hadn’t even heard of the Deodorant Challenge before that point.

“Since then other children have asked her what is wrong with her arm, and when she has told them, they have then replied that they have also had it done to them and showed her their scars.”

The Deodorant Challenge is a craze currently sweeping playgrounds. (Photo: Getty Images)
The Deodorant Challenge is a craze currently sweeping playgrounds. (Photo: Getty Images)

Now Prescott is keen to warn other parents about the dangers. “Even if we can prevent just one more child from going through this, it will be worth it.”

Since sharing, her post has gone viral, clocking up over 3,000 shares and receiving hundreds of comments from other parents thanking her for bringing the trend to their attention.

“Well done for sharing. Kids are silly and do things thinking they are cool without considering the consequence. Harsh lesson learned! I hope your daughters arm recovers well,” one user wrote.

“Omg this is awful. My nephew was doing this when he started secondary school. It’s it so ridiculous, why are the teachers not aware about this,” another added.

“OMG your poor daughter I will definitely show my 10 year and a 8 year old daughter this and tell them not to allow anyone to do this with deodorant. Thanks for sharing this,” a third parent wrote.

It isn’t the first time parents have used social media as a tool for warning other parents about dangerous trends. Last summer, a mom took to Facebook to raise awareness about the dangers of heatstroke. And earlier this year another mum warned other parents about the risks of choking after her child died after reportedly choking on mini eggs. Hopefully Prescott’s warning will help put an end to the Deodorant Challenge.

Read more from Yahoo Lifestyle:

Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter for nonstop inspiration delivered fresh to your feed, every day. 


What to Read Next

Back