What's buzzing:

Masters field almost full, Texas Open last chance to get in via world ranking

PGA
Masters field almost full, Texas Open last chance to get in via world ranking
.

View photo

Chesson Hadley, No. 56 in the world, can earn a Masters berth this week, even without winning.(Getty …

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - This week's Valero Texas Open is the last chance for players to crack the top 50 in the world ranking and earn a spot in the Masters.

The drama is lacking this year.

Richard Sterne is No. 53 and George Coetzee is No. 55 - except they're not in the field at San Antonio. The only players at the Texas Open who can move into the top 50 are Chesson Hadley (No. 56) and Ryan Palmer (No. 62). Everyone else who could make it to the top 50 would have to win - and that's an automatic invitation, anyway.

Without any movement, Stephen Gallacher of Scotland (who won Dubai) is the only player who will have moved into the top 50 since the end of last year.

Augusta National began relying on the world ranking in 2000, only it was slightly different. The top 50 at the end of the preceding year received invitations, along with the top 50 a month before the Masters. Starting in 2003, the final cutoff was moved to one week before the Masters.

The club has never said why it takes the top 50 at the end of a calendar year. Perhaps it's so players can make travel arrangements, or perhaps it was to give an advantage to overseas players, who compete deep into the year. PGA Tour members have more avenues to qualify throughout the season.

But imagine what would happen if there was only one cutoff for the top 50 in the world, and it followed the Florida Swing.

Matteo Manassero (51), Branden Grace (57), David Lynn (65) and Peter Hanson (70) all were in the top 50 in December. They would have spent the Florida Swing trying to stay in the top 50 or move back in. That change might be something for Augusta National to consider if it feels the field is getting too close to 100 players.

As it is, the Masters virtually is assured of having fewer than 100 players for the 48th straight year. But just barely.

View Comments (2)
  • Blatter says he will accept verdict as CAS appeal begins

    "I do hope it will be positive for me," Blatter, sporting a light grey beard, told reporters at around 8 a.m. (0600 GMT) ahead of a closed-door hearing expected to last several hours. The 80-year-old Blatter denies wrongdoing in authorizing a $2 … More »

    The Canadian Press - 3 minutes 17 seconds ago
  • Kenya disbands Olympic committee after troubles in Rio

    The National Olympic Committee of Kenya has been disbanded by the government amid investigations into alleged mismanagement of the country's team at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics. Kenya's sports minister, Hassan Wario, says Thursday that problems … More »

    The Canadian Press - 4 minutes 5 seconds ago
  • Putin calls ban on Russia's Paralympic team inhumane

    Putin calls ban on Russia's Paralympic team inhumane

    Russian President Vladimir Putin attacked the ban on his country from the Rio de Janeiro Paralympics as immoral and inhumane on Thursday. Russia was suspended on Aug. 7 over what International Paralympic Committee president Philip Craven called a … More »

    The Canadian Press - 4 minutes 21 seconds ago
  • SportsFlash - Hope Solo suspended 6 months

    SportsFlash - Hope Solo suspended 6 months

    Yahoo Sports presents a quick recap of the morning's top stories including a suspension for Hope Solo, Ryan Lochte's possible next move and the ugly contract situation brewing in San Diego. … More »

    Yahoo Sports Videos - 6 minutes ago
  • Lacazette, Fekir return as France ring changes after Euro 2016

    Lacazette, Fekir return as France ring changes after Euro 2016

    France coach Didier Deschamps has named his first squad since reaching the European Championship final with left back Patrice Evra among several high-profile omissions. Olympique Lyonnais duo Alexandre Lacazette and Nabil Fekir have been recalled … More »

    Reuters - 10 minutes ago