Advertisement

Maryland Gov. Has Met with Families of 6 Presumed Dead After Bridge Collapse: 'They Received the Worst News'

"These were fathers and these were sons and these were husbands and these were people who their families relied on," said Maryland Gov. Wes Moore

<p>JIM WATSON/AFP via Getty</p> The US Coast Guard Cutter Mako patrols near the collapsed Francis Scott Key Bridge after it was struck by the container ship Dali in Baltimore, Maryland, on March 27, 2024.

JIM WATSON/AFP via Getty

The US Coast Guard Cutter Mako patrols near the collapsed Francis Scott Key Bridge after it was struck by the container ship Dali in Baltimore, Maryland, on March 27, 2024.
  • Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said he met with the families of six consitution workers who are missing and presumed dead after Tuesday's collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge

  • "They received the worst news that they could have possibly received," the governor said Wednesday morning

  • Moore said that the state would continue to be there for the families as recovery efforts continue

Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said Wednesday morning that he has met with the families of the six construction workers presumed dead following the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge.

"As we have moved now to a recovery effort, the same commitment to families is: 'We are going to use every asset to bring them a sense of closure,' " he told CBS Mornings anchor Tony Dokoupil.

Moore added that his "heart is broken" for the families.

"They received the worst news that they could have possibly received," the governor said. "When their family members left to go to work, they never imagined that the result would be ... a bridge collapsed and now their family member's missing."

Related: Baltimore Bridge Collapse Survivor Described Watching Ship Get Closer, Says Maryland Gov.

Officials announced that authorities were moving to a recovery phase more than 12 hours after a cargo ship struck the Balitmore bridge as the victims were fixing potholes early Tuesday.

The Washington Consulate of Mexico said Tuesday night that the six workers included individuals from Mexico, Guatemala and El Salvador.

Moore told Dokoupil that the state would continue to be there for the families.

<p>JIM WATSON/AFP via Getty </p> Francis Scott Key Bridge

JIM WATSON/AFP via Getty

Francis Scott Key Bridge

Related: Video Shows Horrifying Moment Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapses After Being Struck by Cargo Ship

"These were fathers and these were sons and these were husbands and these were people who their families relied on," he added.

Nonprofit organization CASA identified one of the workers as father of three Miguel Luna, who is from El Salvador but has lived in Maryland for over 19 years.

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

Another victim was identified by CNN as Maynor Yassir Suazo Sandoval, a father of two from Honduras. His brother told the outlet that his brother had been living in the U.S. for 18 years.

In a Spanish-language interview with PEOPLE, coworker Jesus Campos said he is acquaintances with the six individuals, describing them all as "good people."

Related: Warning from Ship Crew Before Baltimore Bridge Collapse Allowed Officials to Stop Traffic: 'They Saved Lives'

The men worked for local construction company Brawner Builders, according to The New York Times.

Jeffrey Pritzker, executive vice president of the company, told the paper that the men were "wonderful family people," calling Tuesday “a very, very bad day.”

PEOPLE has reached out to Brawner Builders for comment.

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.