What's Buzzing:

Manchester City targets Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen


Manchester City has identified Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen as a leading target to strengthen its defense in the summer, Goal understands.

City is looking for a first choice central defender to partner captain Vincent Kompany and is ready to bid for Vertonghen at the end of the season.


Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is a notoriously tough negotiator, but City believes the Londoners will be prepared to negotiate a deal for Vertonghen following a disappointing campaign in which the White Hart Lane outfit looks set to miss out on qualification for the Champions League.

Vertonghen is understood to have been personally recommended to City chiefs by Kompany, his Belgium international teammate.

The pair have a good relationship and City believes they would offer a strong balance for Manuel Pellegrini’s side, with Matija Nastasic, Martin Demichelis and Joleon Lescott all failing to convince the Chilean manager this season.

City is also tracking Porto defender Eliaquim Mangala but has baulked at the 45 million euro release clause for the Frenchman, while Pellegrini is a huge fan of Real Madrid center back Pepe.

Vertonghen is seen as an attainable option and would immediately adapt to City having spent two years in the Premier League since joining Spurs from Ajax for around 9.5m euro in July 2012.

Spurs want to keep Vertonghen but expect the 26-year-old to push for a move away from White Hart Lane at the end of the season.

Vertonghen was named in the PFA team of the season in his first year at Spurs but has struggled this year. Tottenham’s defensive injuries mean he has not played with a consistent partner in central defense, while he has often been forced to play at left back.

He has previously been linked with Barcelona but is not thought to feature near the top of the Spanish giants' list of potential replacements for Carles Puyol when the center back leaves the Camp Nou in the summer.

Tottenham looks almost certain to miss out on a top four finish and Vertonghen has refused to commit his future to the north London club if it misses a place in next season’s Champions League.

“My favorite thing, what I want of course, is to play in the Champions League with Tottenham,” Vertonghen said in February. “That’s what I want so I hope we get in there this year.

Asked about his future if Spurs miss out, he replied: “I can’t say anything about that, so let’s see after the end of the season and after the World Cup.”

Sign up for Yahoo Fantasy Hockey
View Comments (0)
  • Lloyd heads shortlist for women's World Player of the Year

    Lloyd heads shortlist for women's World Player of the Year

    Carli Lloyd, captain and hat-trick hero for the United States in their World Cup final triumph, heads the trio of nominees for FIFA Women's World Player of the Year, announced on Monday. Lloyd, whose treble in the 5-2 win against Japan in … More »

    Reuters - 6 minutes ago
  • Everton paid the price for celebrating too much - Howard

    Everton paid the price for celebrating too much - Howard

    (Reuters) - Everton were guilty of celebrating Ross Barkley's late goal for too long as Bournemouth snatched a dramatic 3-3 draw in the eighth minute of stoppage time on Saturday, goalkeeper Tim Howard said. Everton went into the interval 2-0 up, … More »

    Reuters - 1 hour 16 minutes ago
  • Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar are Ballon d'Or nominees

    Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar are Ballon d'Or nominees

    By Ian Chadband LONDON (Reuters) - Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo will go head-to-head once again for the title of world's best footballer after being short-listed along with Neymar on Monday for the 2015 FIFA Ballon d'Or. For the seventh time … More »

    Reuters - 1 hour 19 minutes ago
  • Neymar on Ballon D'Or shortlist alongside Messi, Ronaldo

    Neymar on Ballon D'Or shortlist alongside Messi, Ronaldo

    ZURICH (AP) -- Neymar has made the three-man Ballon D'Or shortlist for the first time, alongside Barcelona teammate Lionel Messi and title holder Cristiano Ronaldo. … More »

    AP - Sports - 1 hour 49 minutes ago
  • Barca file complaint against former Real players

    Barcelona have filed a formal complaint against two former Real Madrid players turned pundits after they suggested Barca forward Neymar deserved the kick he received from Real midfielder Isco in this month's La Liga 'Clasico'. Isco, who had come on … More »

    Reuters - 2 hours 2 minutes ago