Man Wearing Body Armor, Carrying Semi-Automatic Weapons And Explosive Devices Sneaks Into Theme Park, Where He Is Later Found Dead

A 22-year-old man wearing body armor, a helmet and tactical clothing that gave the appearance he was a member of law enforcement was found dead this weekend inside the Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park in Glenwood Springs, CO. According to a statement from the Garfield County Sheriff’s Office, the man was carrying a semi-automatic rife, a semi-automatic pistol, multiple loaded magazines for each weapon and multiple improvised explosive devices (IEDs).

“It is important to realize that given the amount of weaponry, ammunition, and explosive devices found, the suspect could have implemented attack of devastating proportions upon our community, and first responders,” the Sheriff’s Office said in a statement.

More from Deadline

Law enforcement officials suspect the man – who is not being identified – snuck into the park after hours, when there were no employees or guests were present. He was found there, dead, on Saturday morning before the park opened.

Over the next two days, the local bomb squad and the Garfield County All Hazard Response Team safely detonated the IEDs and made a “slow, methodical” search of the property in order to ensure no other such devices were present. Law enforcement also searched the suspect’s home. According to information released by the park, “The Garfield County Coroner was onsite and states that they are investigating the death as a suicide.”

The man’s presence at the park was “not related to any rides or attractions,” according to a spokesperson.

Glenwood Caverns General Manager Nancy Heard said in a statement, “This very sad and tragic incident reminds us how much our Glenwood Springs community means to us. We appreciate the swift action and thorough work of the Garfield County Sheriff’s Department and Coroner’s Office, as well as the Garfield County All Hazard Response Team and other authorities assisting in the investigation, working together to ensure the park is safe to reopen. Thank you for all you do.”

The news comes less than one week after a mass shooting in Lewiston, Maine took the lives of 18 people.

According to a local CBS station, the park will be closed through November 9.

Best of Deadline

Sign up for Deadline's Newsletter. For the latest news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Click here to read the full article.