What's Buzzing:

Lloyd scores 2 as US women beat China 3-0

AP - Sports
Lloyd scores 2 as US women beat China 3-0
.

View gallery

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Carli Lloyd scored two goals less than three minutes apart in the first half as the United States defeated China 3-0 Thursday night in a women's soccer friendly in the first game since Tom Sermanni was fired as coach of the Americans.

The victory extended the United States' unbeaten streak on home turf to 82 games (72-0-10) as Jill Ellis marked the start of her second stint as interim coach. Sermanni was fired Sunday.

"I thought there were some really good moments tonight," said Ellis, a Scotland native who previously served as interim coach in October 2012 before Sermanni took over. "They've been through a lot this week. They've got great resilience and professionalism that was on display tonight.

"I know these guys I know my role and come in here and galvanize then a little bit. But they're so professional it's not a challenge to bring this group to be focused on the field."

Lloyd took a pass from forward Lauren Holiday and beat China goalie Zhang Yue with a left foot drive just inside the right goal post in the 20th minute. In the 23rd minute Lloyd intercepted a pass and drilled a shot from 25 yards out that caught the inside of the left goalpost past Yue.

Lloyd has 50 goals in international play.

Prior to those two scores, U.S. goalkeeper Hope Solo had made a terrific hand save on a shot by Zhang Rui in the 11th minute of play.

Asked about being in mix for the permanent head coaching job, Ellis said: "I's been a crazy week and I haven't had a chance to reflect on a few things. Just for me I need some time to go home and things over before I talk with those making the decision."

Some of the players, however, were ready to endorse her.

"We are comfortable with Jill and we love Jill and have a lot of respect for her," Solo said. "She didn't miss a beat. She came in she put the pen on the board and started coaching.

"I am always honored to be coached by Jill. Everyone she had something to say, I think people perk up and listen. And yes I'd love to see her on board."

Lloyd suffered a bloody nose in a collision late in the first half but did return to play. American defenseman Rachel Van Hollebeke suffered a twisted left ankle in the first half and did not return.

All-time leading scorer Abby Wambach made her first appearance at the start of the second half.

Forward Sydney Leroux scored the third goal of the game with an assist from Megan Rapinoe in the 46th minute

View Comments (1)
  • Malaysia in talks over 2017 A-League entry - report

    The Football Association of Malaysia have held discussions about sending a team to play in the Australian A-League next year, former Socceroos striker Dave Mitchell has said. Mitchell said he had proposed the idea to the FAM after being given the … More »

    Reuters - 1 hour 9 minutes ago
  • Porto win breathless classico as Casillas defies Benfica

    An inspired performance by goalkeeper Iker Casillas and a second-half goal from Vincent Aboubakar helped give Porto a 2-1 win at Benfica in a breathless, end-to-end 'classico' on Friday. Benfica, who had won their previous eight Primeira Liga … More »

    Reuters - 1 hour 48 minutes ago
  • Leicester City-Arsenal Preview

    With all the love Leicester City have received during their unlikely and meteoric rise to the top of the Premier League, it seems fitting their Valentine's Day opponent are Arsenal - jilted and forlorn for more than a decade as each of their annual … More »

    AP - Sports - 3 hours ago
  • FIFA presidential candidates make presentations to CONCACAF

    Four of the five candidates for FIFA president made presentations to CONCACAF officials Friday. On the final day of a two-day meeting of the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football, favorites Gianni Infantino of … More »

    AP - Sports - 3 hours ago
  • FIFA bans Valcke for 12 years

    FIFA bans Valcke for 12 years

    Jerome Valcke, Sepp Blatter's long-time right-hand man, was banned from all soccer-related activity for 12 years Friday for misconduct during his term as FIFA secretary general. Valcke was found guilty by FIFA's ethics committee of wide-ranging … More »

    AP - Sports - 4 hours ago