What's Buzzing:

Lindsay Davenport inducted into Hall of Fame

Reuters
Former tennis player Lindsay Davenport of the United States waves and holds her plaque after being inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport
.

View gallery

Former tennis player Lindsay Davenport of the United States waves and holds her plaque after being inducted …

(Reuters) - Three-time Grand Slam champion and former world number one Lindsay Davenport was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame on Saturday, saying she fell in love with the sport the first time she picked up a racquet.

“I was five years old when I first hit a tennis ball and a racquet was put in my hand,” the American said at her enshrinement along with legendary tennis coach Nick Bollettieri, five time Paralympic medallist Chantal Vandierendonck, tennis executive Jane Brown Grimes and British broadcaster John Barrett in ceremonies at Newport, Rhode Island.

“It was the third sport that my parents tried with me to get me out of the house clearly at a young age after school.  I never wanted to learn another sport and I still don't.

“Hitting the ball and making contact was always something that came very natural to me. Everything else about the game took work and was a struggle. But that was the reason why I fell in love with it.”

Davenport, now 38, said it took her 20 years of practice and competition to reach her peak.

The Californian was rewarded with Grand Slam victories at the 1998 U.S. Open, 1999 Wimbledon and 2000 Australian Open. She also won an Olympic gold medal in 1996 during a career stretching from 1991 through 2011. She was ranked number one in the world for 98 weeks.

Second-seed Ivo Karlovic and third-seed Lleyton Hewitt, meanwhile, will meet in Sunday’s final after semi-final victories on Saturday.

Tall Croatian Karlovic has bounced back in emphatic fashion from his first round loss at Wimbledon.

The 35-year-old’s latest victim was Australian Samuel Groth. Karlovic broke once in each set for a 6-4 6-4 victory.

Australian Hewitt, at home on the grass surface, took barely an hour to dust off American Jack Sock 6-1 6-2.

Hewitt is also seeking redemption after losing last year’s final. As with Karlovic, he had an early recent exit from Wimbledon, where he lost in five sets in the second round.

(Reporting by Andrew Both in Cary, North Carolina, Editing by Gene Cherry)

View Comments (2)
  • Neymar close to new five-year deal at Barcelona

    Neymar close to new five-year deal at Barcelona

    Neymar is close to signing a three-year contract extension with Barcelona that will tie the Brazil captain to the La Liga champions until June 2021, club president Josep Maria Bartomeu announced on Thursday. The 24-year-old forward is a reported … More »

    Reuters - 5 minutes ago
  • Ice-cool Evans sets up another British date for Federer

    Ice-cool Evans sets up another British date for Federer

    By John Stonestreet LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's Dan Evans kept his cool in uncharted territory on Thursday, downing 30th-seeded Ukrainian Alexandr Dolgopolov 7-6(6) 6-4 6-1 to sweep into the third round at Wimbledon and equal his best ever grand … More »

    Reuters - 6 minutes ago
  • Shanghai SIPG announces Hulk transfer from Zenit

    Shanghai SIPG announces Hulk transfer from Zenit

    Shanghai SIPG signed Hulk from Zenit St. Petersburg on Thursday, making the Brazilian forward the first high-profile signing in what is expected to be a mega-spending transfer window in the Chinese Super League. SIPG did not disclose 29-year-old … More »

    AP - Sports - 21 minutes ago
  • Top China golfer Feng not to allow Zika fears ruin Rio dream

    Top Chinese woman golfer Shanshan Feng will compete at the Rio Games despite concerns over Zika virus and the world number 12 says she fears for the sport's Olympic future following some high-profile withdrawals from the men's competition. Golf's … More »

    Reuters - 24 minutes ago
  • The Latest: Double shooting gold medalist ineligible for Rio

    The Latest: Double shooting gold medalist ineligible for Rio

    Double shooting gold medalist Michael Diamond has been ruled ineligible to represent Australia at the Rio Olympics. The 44-year-old Diamond appeared before the AOC's executive committee Thursday to argue his case for selection. The committee later … More »

    AP - Sports - 26 minutes ago