Buckingham Palace announced on Jan. 17 that the King would have a "corrective procedure"
It's understood that the King's surgery is complete and that the patient is doing well.
Queen Camilla, 76, left the London hospital on Friday evening, giving a brief update to the well-wishers gathered outside.
"He's fine, thank you," she said heading to her car, according to ITV's Chris Ship.
Earlier on Friday, Buckingham Palace confirmed that King Charles was at the hospital for the procedure. "The King was this morning admitted to a London hospital for scheduled treatment," they said. "His Majesty would like to thank all those who have sent their good wishes over the past week and is delighted to learn that his diagnosis is having a positive impact on public health awareness."
The King was admitted to The London Clinic, the same hospital where Kate Middleton is recovering from abdominal surgery. The monarch visited his daughter-in-law, who is staying at the hospital ahead of her continued recovery at home for several months, before his own procedure.
On Jan. 17, Buckingham Palace announced that King Charles would have a “corrective procedure” to treat an enlarged prostate and that the condition was benign.
“In common with thousands of men each year, The King has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate. His Majesty's condition is benign and he will attend hospital next week for a corrective procedure,” the palace statement said. “The King’s public engagements will be postponed for a short period of recuperation.”
It's understood that King Charles wanted to share his diagnosis to encourage men who may be experiencing symptoms to get checked. A royal source told PEOPLE that the King would be capable of fulfilling his constitutional requirements and duties during this time.
“It was sensible to be more open about it, as otherwise, people might have thought the worst,” a palace insider tells PEOPLE exclusively in this week’s issue about the announcement ahead of the planned procedure.
As monarch, the status of Charles' health is of great importance, and his decision to highlight his diagnosis has already made an impact. The King’s announcement prompted a 1,000% increase in searches about prostate enlargement on the U.K.’s National Health Service website.
On Jan. 18, Queen Camilla briefly spoke about her husband’s health during a stop in Scotland.
"He's fine, thank you very much. Looking forward to getting back to work," Queen Camilla said after someone asked how the King was as she arrived at the Aberdeen Art Gallery to open the new “Safe Space” support hub for domestic abuse.
Shortly before King Charles' procedure was initially announced, Kensington Palace revealed that Princess Kate had undergone a “planned abdominal surgery" that would require a hospital stay of up to two weeks followed by several months of further recovery at home.
Can't get enough of PEOPLE's Royals coverage? Sign up for our free Royals newsletter to get the latest updates on Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle and more!
Princess Kate's health news was revealed after her surgery took place and details were kept private. The Princess of Wales, 42, chose discretion, expressing a "desire to maintain as much normality for her children as possible," Kensington Palace said.
For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!
Read the original article on People.