John Oliver forced from 'Last Week Tonight' studio due to coronavirus

Yahoo Entertainment

John Oliver was forced out of his Last Week Tonight studio and taped the show with no studio audience on Sunday due to the coronavirus. As the coronavirus rapidly spreads across the country, Oliver explained that there were confirmed cases in the office where his staff works and at the studio where they shoot. And Oliver perfectly summed up the feeling in the first moments of the show.

“Um, this is weird, isn’t it?” Oliver said. “This is definitely weird.”

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

“Our staff has been working from home and we’re currently taping this somewhere else with a very limited crew on this white void set,” Oliver went on to say. “It kind of looks like the place movie characters go when they’ve just died.”

As always, Oliver tried injecting humor, but with no studio audience, it just came off a bit awkward. And though Oliver didn’t hammer President Trump for his handling of the coronavirus as much as the host has done in the past, Oliver did warn against accepting information coming from the president.

“Try your best, I know it’s hard, but try your best to tune out and not pass on misinformation in the coming weeks,” Oliver said, “from sources like, sadly, the president.”

Oliver ended the show seemingly not certain about what the show will do going forward.

“Take care of yourself. Take care of each other,” Oliver said. “And we will be back in some form, some time in the future.”

Last Week Tonight With John Oliver airs Sundays at 11 p.m. on HBO.

Watch Stephen Colbert and Jimmy Fallon deal with the uncomfortable silence shooting with no studio audience:

Read more from Yahoo Entertainment:

Tell us what you think! Hit us up on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram, or leave your comments below. And check out our host, Kylie Mar, on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.

Want daily pop culture news delivered to your inbox? Sign up here for Yahoo Entertainment & Lifestyle's newsletter.

What to Read Next