What's buzzing:

Injured Giants fan attends trial as it nears end

AP - Sports

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A San Francisco Giants fan who suffered brain damage in a beating in a Dodger Stadium parking lot sat front and center Wednesday in a courtroom as testimony wrapped up in a negligence lawsuit against the Dodgers and former owner Frank McCourt.

Plaintiff Bryan Stow was brought to court in a wheelchair as jurors listened to a recorded deposition by a security expert.

However, Stow was quickly hustled into a hallway when defense lawyers showed a video of the two men who went to prison for beating him.

Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood, who pleaded guilty in the assault, were seen on camera in Los Angeles County jail invoking their Fifth Amendment right not to testify. They refused even to say their names.

Stow's lawyer, Tom Girardi, said outside court that he did not want to risk upsetting his client with the video of his assailants, even though he said the former paramedic has no memory of the events. He said he has had to explain to Stow why he is sitting in court.

The 45-year-old Stow had made a brief appearance in court during jury selection. On Wednesday, he stayed most of the day. With his hair cropped close to his head, jurors could see deep scars where his skull had been temporarily removed during medical treatment.

Stow suffered severe brain damage in the attack by the two Dodgers fans after the 2011 Opening Day game between the California rivals.

The last defense witness was Ramon Mayterena, a former vice president of Dodgers security, who lives out of state and gave his testimony on videotape. He said he was hired after multiple interviews, including one by Jamie McCourt, then the wife of Frank McCourt.

''Mrs. McCourt expressed concern about fights in the stadium,'' Mayterena testified.

He said he was hired because the team lacked anyone with background in handling security for such a large venue. A former U.S. Secret Service agent, Mayterena said he had handled security for presidential trips.

On the videotaped cross-examination, he said the Dodgers' bureaucratic hierarchy was in disarray and the people who hired him were soon gone and replaced by people with even less security experience.

There were disputes over whether to place uniformed Los Angeles police officers in the stadium, he said, because "a lot of fans had had run-ins with the police.''

Many of those fans had tattoos and appeared to be gang members, he said, adding that the arrival of police in uniform at the scene of any dispute would exacerbate the situation.

Attorneys for Stow claim too many security officers merely wore shirts saying ''police,'' which did not carry the authority necessary to discourage fights and rowdy behavior.

Outside court, Stow chatted amiably with family members. Girardi confirmed that he had recently suffered another of the strokes that have beset him since the attack.

Still, the lawyer said Stow was ''coming back to where he was'' and added, ''it was good to see him smile.''

Attorneys were due to deliver final arguments on Thursday. The plaintiffs are seeking about $50 million for Stow's lifetime care.

View Comments (7)
  • Former Met-killer Chipper Jones picks Mets to win World Series

    Former Met-killer Chipper Jones picks Mets to win World Series

    Chipper Jones has quite a history beating up the Mets. Now he has a history picking them to win. … More »

    Big League Stew - 51 minutes ago
  • Guillen to manage Venezuelan winter team

    Guillen to manage Venezuelan winter team

    Ozzie Guillen, who led the Chicago White Sox to the 2005 World Series title, was hired Wednesday to manage the La Guaira Sharks of the Venezuelan Winter League next offseason. The 52-year-old, who was born in Ocumare del Tuy, has not had a managing … More »

    AP - Sports - 2 hours 58 minutes ago
  • Baseball-Major League Baseball roundup

    The Detroit Tigers and outfielder J.D. Martinez have finalized their two-year, $18.5 million contract that avoided salary arbitration. - - - The Texas Rangers and first baseman Mitch Moreland agreed to a one-year, $5.7 million contract, avoiding a … More »

    Reuters - 4 hours ago
  • Baseball Mode: Work begins on Rogers Centre all-dirt infield for Blue Jays

    Baseball Mode: Work begins on Rogers Centre all-dirt infield for Blue Jays

    Rogers Centre is switching to "baseball mode" permanently. Work began on the stadium's new all-dirt infield on Wednesday with drills and an excavator breaking up the concrete floor of the Toronto Blue Jays' home. It's the first step in a … More »

    The Canadian Press - 4 hours ago
  • Braves unsure about moving Aaron statue

    The Atlanta Braves say they still do not know if the Hank Aaron statue will be moved from its current home at Turner Field to the team's new SunTrust Park, which will open in 2017. Keisha Lance Bottoms, the executive director of the Atlanta Fulton … More »

    AP - Sports - 4 hours ago