Indians activate OF Bourn before rainout

The Associated Press

DETROIT (AP) -- Michael Bourn was ready to return to the majors. Nasty weather delayed his plans.

Bourn, who missed Cleveland's first 13 games with a strained left hamstring, was activated from the disabled list on Tuesday before the Indians' series opener with the Tigers was postponed by cold weather.

Bourn had expected to make his season debut only to have it pushed back by temperatures in the low 30s and snow sitting on the outfield grass in Comerica Park.

''He was ready to go,'' Indians manager Terry Francona said of his speedy center fielder. ''He wanted to play, but you can't control the weather.''

It's the third postponement for the Indians, who already have been forced to play two doubleheaders this season because of rainouts. No makeup date was announced, but Francona believes the AL Central teams, who are scheduled to play 19 times, are eyeing a date in July.

The Indians return to Detroit for a three-game series from July 18-20 and Sept. 12-14.

Francona said right-hander Zach McAllister's start will be pushed back to Wednesday. Danny Salazar will start Thursday, followed by Justin Masterson, Corey Kluber and Carlos Carrasco at home against the Toronto Blue Jays.

Bourn strained his hamstring while running the bases on March 16 during training camp in Arizona. Because he had surgery on the hamstring soon after last season ended, the Indians were cautious about bringing him back. Bourn had been eligible to be activated two weeks ago, but the Indians had him play in five minor league games to make sure he was 100 percent.

Francona said Bourn likely will play in consecutive games but may not appear in ''three, four of five in a row'' for a while.

The chilly weather doesn't help, but Francona said it probably wouldn't have kept Bourn out against the Tigers.

''I don't think anyone feels good in the cold weather,'' Francona said. ''But he's healthy.''

To make room for Bourn, the Indians optioned outfielder Nyjer Morgan to Triple-A Columbus.

Morgan, who signed a minor league deal with Cleveland in January, did a nice job filling in for Bourn. He batted .348 (8 of 23), scored four runs and had four RBIs in nine games.

Francona said the team decided to send down Morgan to keep an extra reliever in the bullpen.

''It wasn't really a tough decision,'' Francona said. ''It was difficult in the fact that he (Morgan) had done so well. I don't think anybody thought he deserved to go to Triple-A, but when you look at the way our team is constituted, we needed to stay with the extra pitcher in the bullpen. With Bourn being a left-handed center fielder, it's hard to keep both of them.''

Sign up for Yahoo Fantasy Hockey
Sorry you didn't like this comment. Please provide a reason below.

Are you sure?
Rating failed. Try again.
Request failed. Try again.
We will promote constructive and witty comments to the top, so everyone sees them!
Sorry, we can’t load comments right now. Try again.
    • LEADING OFF: What to watch at the baseball winter meetings

      LEADING OFF: What to watch at the baseball winter meetings

      Chicago White Sox ace Chris Sale could have a new place to pitch real soon, and it might be the ballpark right across the Potomac River. The NL East champion Washington Nationals are trying hard to close a deal for the 27-year-old lefty. Kyle … More »

      AP - Sports - 1 hour 19 minutes ago
    • Dodgers keep LHP Hill for 3 years, $48M

      Dodgers keep LHP Hill for 3 years, $48M

      Those days of pitching for the Long Island Ducks, out of the majors and almost out of luck, happily seem far away now for Rich Hill. The free agent re-signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers for three years and $48 million, then frequently paused to … More »

      AP - Sports - 5 hours ago
    • 12/5/16: MLB.com Fastcast

      12/5/16: MLB.com Fastcast

      Mark Melancon signs a four-year deal with the Giants, plus the Dodgers sign veteran lefty Rich Hill … More »

      MLB.com - 6 hours ago
    • Melancon, Giants reach $62M, 4-year deal

      Melancon, Giants reach $62M, 4-year deal

      The San Francisco Giants landed the top-tier closer they have been seeking for months, agreeing to a $62 million, four-year contract with right-hander Mark Melancon on Monday. It's the richest contract ever for a closer, topping Jonathan Papelbon's … More »

      AP - Sports - 6 hours ago
    • Under Armour, MLB agree to uniform deal

      Under Armour, MLB agree to uniform deal

      Under Armour will take over as the supplier of Major League Baseball uniforms in 2020. ''I think it's a massive statement for our company,'' Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank said at Monday at a news conference with baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred. … More »

      AP - Sports - 7 hours ago