Harry and Meghan comment that hit Prince Charles hardest

Penny Burfitt
·Lifestyle & Entertainment Producer
·2 min read

In the wake of Harry and Meghan's explosive Oprah tell-all, Prince Charles was worst bruised by allegations he cut his son off financially, a royal source has claimed.

Harry and Meghan told Oprah they moved to LA to pursue financial projects after they were financially cut off by The Firm, but now a source claims Charles did, in fact, support them financially throughout their exit from the UK.

Prince Charles looks sad
Prince Charles was particularly stung by claims he cut his son off financially. Photo: Getty Images

Royal commentator Katie Nicholl said the Prince of Wales found misunderstanding around the pair's financial support hard to swallow.

"He feels they were particularly misleading about the issue of the finances being turned off when actually Charles continued to pay for both of them until they were firmly settled in LA," she told 9Honey.

"I know that that went down like, according to the friend of Charles's that I spoke to, that went down like a cup of cold sick."

RELATED:

"So he is upset by what has been said."

Meghan Markle Prince Harry
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's claims hit the Prince of Wales hard. Photo: Getty Images

The source also added the Charles is unlikely to respond formally, but when it comes to William on the other hand, a lengthy response is more likely, given what seems to be some very strong frustration on his part after the interview.

"Given that [William] actually responded to not one but two questions is a very clear indicator of how much he needed to get something off his chest," Katie said.

"He was wearing a mask but he made sure he could be clearly heard and I think it was an indication of how angry he is over the situation that he just couldn't keep his mouth shut. He wanted to have his say."

Britain's Prince William
Prince William is the only royal to directly respond so far. Photo: Getty Images

Prince William was the first member of the royal family to publicly respond to accusations made by Harry and Meghan, with another expert agreeing his 'short response' indicated a 'serious problem'.

After William's public response, Oprah's bestie Gayle King gave onlookers unprecedented information about the response to the interview within the royal family, claiming communication channels are open but the conversations thus far have been "not productive".

The comments come after Prince Philip, the 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth, was finally seen leaving a London hospital after a four-week stay.

The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to the King Edward VII's Hospital on February 16 after he felt unwell, to receive treatment for an infection. He was transferred briefly at the start of this month to a specialist cardiac centre at another London hospital, where he underwent a procedure for a pre-existing heart condition.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.