Police are issuing a warning to owners who take their dogs to the park after an incident at a Florida dog park left owners terrified.
Local authorities said at least seven fish hooks were found placed in nine meatballs at the Bicentennial Park in Ormond Beach Tuesday, WFTV reported.
Two park-goers told the local station they discovered the hooks after one of their dogs started eating a meatball.
RELATED: Click through some of the most outrageous mugshots and crimes
“There were fish hooks inside the meatballs and I got very concerned because the meatball that my dog had dropped when I called him was just half of one,” one owner, identified as Rita, told the outlet. “So I was afraid that he had ingested something.”
Shortly after, Rita rushed her pup to the veterinarian, where it was determined it had fortunately not ingested any of the hooks.
“I was very stressed out,” she said. “I was livid. I could not imagine something happening to him.”
The Volusia County Parks and Recreation has since closed the park while authorities investigate the incident.
“Fair to say that the miserable excuse for a human being who did this has a cold lump of meat for a heart!!” Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood wrote on Twitter
This article was initially published on AOL.com: Fish hooks found in meat at Florida dog park, police say