The latest turn in Ezekiel Elliott’s court drama is a win for the NFL.
A federal judge in New York dissolved Elliott’s temporary restraining order and his six-game suspension is back on for now, Kate Hairopoulos of the Dallas Morning News and others reported on Monday night. The judge denied Elliott’s motion for a preliminary injunction. Amy Dash of CBS Sports Radio/WFAN said the judge’s decision will be on hold for 24 hours so the NFLPA has a chance to appeal. Hairopoulos noted there are “not a lot of fast options” remaining for Elliott to pursue.
Hairopoulos reported that the judge said the proceedings between the NFL and NFLPA were in accordance with the collective-bargaining agreement, had fundamental fairness and Elliott had an ample opportunity to challenge the initial findings in his arbitration hearing.
Elliott has been playing very well in recent weeks. He had 100 yards rushing in three straight games. In Sunday’s win over the Washington Redskins, Elliott had 150 yards rushing with two touchdowns. After struggling a bit early in the season, Elliott recently has looked like the player who led the NFL in rushing yards last season.
Elliott was suspended for six games in August for a domestic violence incident and lost his appeal, but had been able to play in the Cowboys’ first seven games through various legal maneuvers. Earlier this month it looked like Elliott would have to start serving his suspension, but on Oct. 17 a federal judge in New York granted him a temporary restraining order. That allowed him to continue to play in wins against the San Francisco 49ers and Redskins.
If the suspension holds this time, Elliott will miss Dallas’ next six games: vs. Kansas City, at Atlanta, vs. Philadelphia, vs. L.A. Chargers, vs. Washington, at N.Y. Giants.
– – – – – – –