What's buzzing:

Ex-Patriot Aaron Hernandez seeks jail transfer

AP - Sports

BOSTON (AP) -- Former New England Patriot star Aaron Hernandez should be moved to a jail closer to Boston because communication with his attorneys and his personal safety are being compromised, Hernandez's lawyers said in a transfer request Friday.

Boston-based attorneys Michael Fee and James Sultan said Hernandez needs to be closer to them as he faces three murder charges in two different venues: Bristol County Superior Court in Fall River and Suffolk County Superior Court in Boston.

Fee and Sultan also complained their client has dealt with ''bizarre and unprecedented'' restrictions in his communications with his lawyers. Hernandez cannot always speak privately over the phone and in-person visits are limited to a specially-designated visitation room at the prison, they said.

They also accused the jail administrator, Sheriff Thomas M. Hodgson, of violating Hernandez's due process rights and privacy rights.

The lawyers said Hodgson has colluded with Bristol District Attorney C. Samuel Sutter in the prosecution of the case, ''abandoned'' his duty to safely detain Hernandez while he awaits trial, and used Hernandez for ''self-promotion and virtually non-stop publicity.''

The lawyers also suggested Hernandez's safety is at risk now that he faces criminal charges for allegedly threatening to kill a prison guard and his family, and in an alleged jail altercation with another inmate. Hernandez has pleaded not guilty.

Hodgson said the comments from Hernandez's lawyers were ''outrageous.'' He said Hernandez has had no issues with staff since allegedly making the threats to the correctional officer back in November.

''He's not being treated any different than any person in that place,'' Hodgson said. ''I'm very comfortable with our practices. We are nationally accredited.''

Hodgson rejected the claim that Hernandez's calls and face-to-face meetings with his lawyers are being monitored and said the notion that he is colluding with prosecutors or using Hernandez's notoriety for his own personal gain are also without merit. He said Hernandez's lawyers have already raised these complaints with his office about a month ago and that his office responded in writing.

A spokeswoman for Sutter said prosecutors will file a response in court at a later date.

Hernandez was in court in Fall River earlier this week as his lawyers sought to limit evidence against him in the slaying of former semi-professional football player Odin Lloyd in an industrial park near Hernandez's North Attleborough home. Defense attorneys also sought to have the murder charges dismissed outright.

The judge has yet to rule on those motions, but she has set a tentative trial date of Oct. 6.

Hernandez is set to appear in court in Boston next week in the 2012 drive-by shooting that killed Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado.

Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to all three killings.

View Comments (8)
  • Mido fired by Zamalek after they lose derby to Al Ahli

    Former Egypt international striker Mido has been fired by Zamalek little more than a month after he took charge of the Cairo giants for the second time. Mido, whose playing career took him to clubs in England, France, Italy and Spain, was dismissed … More »

    Reuters - 29 minutes ago
  • Manor F1 team signs Mercedes reserve Wehrlein

    "We’re a small team up for a big challenge... so we’ve chosen a driver with the talent and hunger to match our own on-track ambitions," said owner Stephen Fitzpatrick in a statement. "Pascal has impressed in testing for Mercedes and Force India, … More »

    Reuters - 39 minutes ago
  • Leicester eyeing back-to-back upsets, says winger Albrighton

    Leicester eyeing back-to-back upsets, says winger Albrighton

    (Reuters) - Leicester City have no fear about the weekend's Premier League away matchup with third-placed Arsenal and have their eyes on another major upset, winger Marc Albrighton said. Claudio Ranieri's Leicester stunned Manchester City at the … More »

    Reuters - 45 minutes ago
  • Travis Lulay OK with playing second fiddle to Jonathon Jennings for B.C. Lions

    Travis Lulay needed some time. After five years as the B.C. Lions' undisputed No. 1 quarterback, there was no doubt the torch had been passed to Jonathon Jennings. The rookie took the reins in the second half of the 2015 season when Lulay and … More »

    The Canadian Press - 50 minutes ago
  • Pakistan pick five uncapped players, axe Gul for World T20

    Pakistan pick five uncapped players, axe Gul for World T20

    Pakistan named uncapped bowlers Rumman Raees and Mohammad Nawaz in their squad for the World Twenty20 in India while leaving out experienced paceman Umar Gul, the second highest wicket-taker in the shortest format. Only skipper Shahid Afridi (91) … More »

    Reuters - 51 minutes ago